Seven Comic Book Women Who Ought to Have Their Own Films

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

Wonder Woman

Everyone’s favorite warrior princess has yet to get the Hollywood treatment despite being one of DC’s most beloved characters. After all, who doesn’t want to see her battle Cheetah on the big screen? With over 70 years of comic book material to work with, the opportunities for a film adaptation are endless. The Amazon’s appearance in the upcoming Batman Vs. Superman film by Zack Snyder gives this writer hope that she may soon get her own spin-off.

Catwoman

The Dark Knight Rises tied up Selina Kyle’s story with a nice little bow, but Anne Hathaway’s not the only actress who could portray the famous anti-hero. If DC’s really looking for its next big hit, it might consider taking on a Catwoman film good enough to make us all forget the Halle Berry flop. Honestly, I myself wouldn’t mind a Dark Knight prequel with Anne Hathaway. She was portrayed with great depth and honesty. I’m sure there’s a backstory we’d all love to hear.

Black Widow

This Russian spy is one of the only Avengers that doesn’t have her own film. While the geniuses at Marvel plot a Thor 3, two more Avengers films, Ant-Man, and more, there’s been no talk of a Black Widow movie. Even so, fan responses to Scarlett Johansson’s portrayal have been overwhelmingly positive. Black Widow is one of the most skilled Avengers with an incredibly complex KGB background and her own conflicted feelings about the S.H.I.E.L.D. agency. If that and her killer (no pun intended) personality isn’t enough to demand a solo film, I don’t know what is.

Spider-Woman

Jessica Drew is by far one of the best incarnations of this superhero, and she had a fabulous run in the latest Avengers comic series, which went from 2010 to 2013. Spunky and always ready with a great one-liner, and strong enough to connect with someone like the Hulk, it’s impossible not to enjoy every second she appears. Like Black Widow, she’s one of my all-time favorite Marvel women and would make a great addition to the cinematic universe Avengers team. With her fun attitude, her own solo film would fit the tone of previous ones, such as Thor and Iron Man, perfectly.

Scarlet Witch

The daughter of the villainous Magneto, Scarlet Witch has by far one of the most compelling origin stories in the Marvel universe. Her powers – in the comics – have ranged from creating hexes to controlling “chaos” magic to being a math whiz. Strong enough to take on any villain in a solo film and with enough family drama to keep the story flowing smoothly, an Avengers 2: Age of Ultron spin-off starring Elizabeth Olsen as the title character would be to die for. And, if she ever ends up in a film featuring Loki, a showdown between the two would be absolutely priceless.

Echo

Like any great superhero, Echo’s story is one of tragedy. The famous villain Kingpin murdered her father and then raised her as his own, telling her that Daredevil was the killer. The Native American prodigy then tries to hunt down the superhero and ends up teaming with him and the Avengers. Despite being deaf, she has the power to imitate any action, making her an expert martial artist marked by a white handprint on her face. Echo is one of the least well-known of the Marvel women, but would no doubt make a great protagonist, especially since it would tie in nicely to a Daredevil reboot.

Valkyrie

While it’s unlikely the Lady Sif will ever get her own movie since she’s so closely tied to Thor himself, there’s another Asgardian woman who just might be able to steal the screen. Valkyrie, also known as Brunnhilde, is a leader of the all-female team, the Valkyrior. Once a team of Asgardian warriors, the team was later transformed to a group of skilled earth women known as The Defenders. This has all the makings of a great new Marvel franchise – a strong backstory (she was selected to lead by Odin himself), a kick-butt protagonist, and, if it’s a little romance you’re looking for à la Tony and Pepper, few would object to pairing her with archeologist Dr. Annabelle Riggs.

Which female superheroes do you want to see on the big screen? Tell us in the comments!

Image Source Links:

Cover Photo, Wonder Woman, Catwoman, Black Widow, Spider-Woman, Scarlet Witch, Echo, Valkyrie

HerCampus Chatham's Entertainment Writer, Onastasia Youssef graduated from high school in 2010 and entered Chatham University the same year. Although she majors in Art History and English, she has always had a passion for music journalism. She hopes to engage her readers with exciting stories that will broaden their knowledge of musical genres and provide them with the very latest in the entertainment world. Random Fun Facts: Favorite Movie - The Avengers Favorite Album - No Fences Favorite Color - Blue Favorite Food - Yogurt (yes, yogurt)
  Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.