Sarah (Esther) Troetschel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

Sarah (Esther) Troetschel

Year: Third Year (Junior)

Hometown and Your Favorite Thing About It:

Munhall, PA. I like that we have a good community around us, where neighbors help neighbors.

Areas of Study and Why You Chose Them:

Political Science and Religion. I have always felt drawn to both of these areas since I was 10-12 years old. I cannot escape them, they still fascinate me, I can’t live without them.

Favorite Foods:

Chickpeas, Airheads (or any other fruit-flavored candy), fresh broccoli with ranch dressing, vanilla ice cream and popsicles.

Favorite Movies:

Harry Potter Series, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Mame and The Spongebob Squarepants Movie.

Favorite TV Shows:

Victorious, The Colbert Report, The Daily Show, That ‘70s Show and Jesse.

Favorite Musicians/Bands:

Joseph Birdsong, The Klezmatics, The Beatles, Jassi Sidhu, Manak E, Hank Green, Skrillex, Balkan Beat Box, Hoda, Jason Munday,  Matisyahu, John Lennon, MC Special and Cantor Ben Rosner. 

Favorite Books:

The Torah, Harry Potter Series, The Fault in our Stars, the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series and The Complete Works of William Shakepeare.

Activities:

I am the secretary of The All-Faith Gathering.  I am really involved at my shul where I am converting to Conservative Judaism.  This semester I am interning with Cantor Ben Rosner, which has been great so far.   I am in the process of joining a Klezmer band at CMU too.

What do you do for fun/to relax? 

I really like music so I like to sing and dance around my room. I crochet myself kippah and bows.  I spend a lot of time at my shul Beth Shalom and at the Hillel.  I also love, love, love watching YouTube.

Favorite YouTubers: 

My all-time favorite YouTuber is Joseph Birdsong.  I also like Tyler Oakley, Jenna Marbles, Smosh, ItsKingsleybitch, sxephil, vlogbrothers, tobuscus, jacksfilms and Charlieissocoollike.

What do you love most about the winter? 

Watching snow fall while drinking hot chocolate.

If you could become incredibly talented in one thing overnight, what would you choose? 

Singing in Hebrew.

Favorite Winter Treat: Matzah ball soup.

If you could have one superpower, what would you pick and why?

I would like to be able to read minds. I think it would make my life easier, I am always afraid I am doing something wrong and offending people.

Dream Vacation Spot:

Israel, I would love to see all the sights, all of the old things, it would be really cool.

Childhood Dream Job: 

Aide to a Congresswoman.

Current Dream Job:

Activist for The Human Rights Campaign.

What do you love most about being a Chatham woman?

The great community we have here, everyone is so friendly and helpful.  I feel like we all care about each other.

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.