Rising Senior Mimi Astle Breathes New Life into Chatham Scholars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

HC Chatham: What’s your year and major?

Mimi Astle: Class of 2018 Psychology Major

What student organizations are you involved with?

Scholars, SAB, Pre-Med Club, Mortar Board, Omicron Delta Kappa, Drama Club

What made you want to get involved with SAB?

When I was first applying for the scholars program, my Chatham admissions counselor spoke highly of the sisterhood within scholars, especially how everyone hung out frequently and often had scholars movie nights. When I came to Chatham as a first year scholar, we didn’t really have this. By the end of the year I was really passionate about involvement and Dr. MacNeil suggested I talk to the current SAB director because I would fit in well 

What’s something you did this year with SAB that you’re most proud of?

I’m really proud of the pad-sewing event we hosted with Days for Girls and Pauline Juliet. It was really great to have different work stations so people could do something they were interested in (like sewing or learning to sew) or something small that they could spend five minutes working on because they had other commitments. Even though the turnout was a bit small, everyone was interested in the process and most people said they would love to see this again which warmed my heart. We were also pretty productive in a short amount of time

What made you choose Chatham?

I chose Chatham when my high school offered a scholarship opportunity and, being the opportunistic junior that I was, I applied because I wanted my mom to see that I had not only started looking into schools, but I was already thinking about scholarships (note: I had never even heard of Chatham prior to that day and I remember Googling it to see where it was). When I went to campus for a visit day, it was amazing and I pretty much fell in love instantly. I was set to visit another school the next morning and I didn’t even go because of how great my Chatham visit was.

What’s your favorite thing about Chatham?

Chatham provides a really strong community; I appreciate that professors have open door policies and will talk with you whenever you need them, Chatham goes really hard for event planning so there’s always a lot to do, and you can probably at least recognize everyone in your classes   

Indigo Baloch is the HC Chatham Campus Correspondent. She is a junior at Chatham University double majoring in Creative Writing and Journalism and double minoring Graphic Design and an Asian Studies Certificate. Indigo is a writer and Editorial Assistant at Maniac Magazine and occasionally does book reviews for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. She is also the Public Relations Director for The Mr. Roboto Project (a music venue in Pittsburgh) and creates their monthly newsletter. During her freshman and sophomore year, Indigo was the Editor-in-Chief of Chatham's student driven newsprint: Communique. Currently, on campus, Indigo is the Communications Coordinator for Minor Bird (Chatham's literary magazine), the Public Relations Director for Chatham's chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, and a Staff Writer and Columnist for Communique. She has worked as a Fashion Editorial Intern for WHIRL Magazine, and has been a featured reader at Chatham's Undergraduate Reading Series and a featured writer in Minor Bird. She loves art, music, film, theater, writing, and traveling.