Online Dating: Safety First with datemyschool

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

It’s nightmare territory: your online confidante turns out to be something less than a prince or princess charming.

By now, most of us have seen Catfish. MTVs new show investigates possibly out-of-control online relationships to find out if they’re for real. Even though the intentions are good, it’s enough to make any collegiette think twice about logging on. But don’t step away from the keyboard just yet: datemyschool is a free but highly selective solution.

datemyschool kicks creeps to the curb with safety features that are some of the strongest in the industry.

Still worried? We’ve worked with datemyschool to answer your biggest concerns.

Q: How do I know if the relationship’s for real?

A: Everyone is verified.

Catfish exposes scenarios that involve plenty of deception; it’s all too easy to lie on most online dating sites about everything from location to age. On datemyschool, every new user goes through an extensive internal verification process. Because everyone has to sign up with their university email address, you can be certain that the people you’re meeting are actually college students and graduates.

Q: There are thousands of people dating online. How do I narrow my options?

A: Take control.

There’s nothing more stressful than a blind date; based on your specifications, datemyschool gets you as close to your dream match as possible. Set the age range of your prospective cuties and limit the schools they’re from. If you only want to date 18 to 21-year-olds in Oakland, they’re all you’ll see.

Q: What if I’m uncomfortable with hundreds of strangers scoping out my profile?

A. You can disappear.

Let’s be honest: we’d all love to have an invisibility cloak. datemyschool is about as close as you can get. You determine who to see, and you decide who sees you. Whether you just want to limit your audience or need to take more serious action to block a user, all of those resources are immediately available.

Q: So I’ve met someone. How do I get to know them without sacrificing privacy?

A: There’s no need to exchange any info up front.

Giving up your email or Facebook profile early in an online relationship is risky. datemyschool offers an in-site chat function so you’ll have plenty of time to connect with someone before they learn your full name.

Q: What if I feel like I’m in it alone?

A: You’ve got an ally.

The datemyschool team works endlessly to ensure that the connections you make are genuine. From monitoring profile creation to consistently evolving their safety features, you’ve always got them on your side.

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.