A New Kind of Hurricane: Hunter Hayes Blows His Pittsburgh Audience Away

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

When Carrie Underwood’s Blown Away concert tour came to Pittsburgh on November 27th, it was rising star Hunter Hayes who stole the show. Recently nominated for three categories in the 55th Annual GRAMMY Awards, including Best New Artist, the young country singer has drawn in audiences not only with his boyish good looks, but his undeniable talent. As a tribute to all his hard work this year, Her Campus Chatham is presenting you with the very best of Hunter Hayes!

“Storm Warning”

This song was definitely the one the audience begged for at the concert. Released on May 16, 2011, it was his debut single in which he not only sang, but played every instrument on the track. Although the latter couldn’t be done in concert, there was no doubt that this is the song that really made the CONSOL Energy Center come alive that night. Click the title to hear the song, and check out another video here

“Jambalaya”

While this adorable video takes place when Hunter was only four years old, it displays his amazing skill even at a very young age! Jamming to a classic on his accordion and belting out the song, he was also duetting the tune with country music legend Hank Williams, Jr.

“Somebody’s Heartbreak”

Kenny Chesney, Keith Urban, Tim McGraw, Garth Brooks – all the country greats have written about taking risks in relationships, and Hunter is no exception. In this sweet love ballad, he sings his heart out and sounds just as great with only a guitar and a microphone as he does on the soundtrack itself.

“Almost Paradise”

It’s not every day that an artist gets to remake iconic songs, but Hunter Hayes got the chance to do just that. The song is a duet with Nickelodeon star Victoria Justice for the 2011 Footloose remake; this is one of those rare times that a cover of an 80s song actually outdoes the original.

“Run Rudolph Run”

With the holidays coming up, how could we not include a Christmas song? At the 2011 Jinglefest, Hunter Hayes rocked out with his very own version of Chuck Berry’s holiday classic. One of the things I noticed most at the Blown Away concert was what a pro instrumentalist Hunter was, running his fingers across the neck of the guitar as expertly as Brad Paisley!

“Wanted”

This isn’t just my personal favorite, but it is so far Hunter’s biggest hit. “Wanted” is his first number one and was recently certified gold by the RIAA. Hunter made history after becoming the youngest male (aged twenty-one) to quickly top the Hot Country Songs chart since Johnny Rodriguez.

To learn more about Hunter Hayes, his CDs, tours and tweets, you can check out his official site here.

Photo credit: Hunter Hayes’ Official Website

HerCampus Chatham's Entertainment Writer, Onastasia Youssef graduated from high school in 2010 and entered Chatham University the same year. Although she majors in Art History and English, she has always had a passion for music journalism. She hopes to engage her readers with exciting stories that will broaden their knowledge of musical genres and provide them with the very latest in the entertainment world. Random Fun Facts: Favorite Movie - The Avengers Favorite Album - No Fences Favorite Color - Blue Favorite Food - Yogurt (yes, yogurt)
  Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.