HC Chatham Blog Section Editor Onastasia Youssef

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

To help you get to know our staff better, I’ll be featuring four Her Campus Chatham officers in December and January. We’d love for you to get to know them as they work to help you tell your stories!–Mara Flanagan

Onastasia Youssef is passion on two feet. A fearless singer, enthusiastic writer and art lover, the Her Campus Chatham Blog Section Editor puts her all into everything she does. Being true to oneself requires drive, something Youssef certainly has plenty of:

1. She moved thousands of miles to Chatham. “I grew up in San Diego, California, and loved everything about it!,” she says. “The plays, the concerts, the beaches, the theme parks, the horses, the sunshine, and the history. Some of my favorite memories are taking trips to Old Town and Seaport Village.” At not even twenty, she ultimately decided against staying in San Francisco for school, opting for a women’s college in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Even though she’d never visited campus, the fact that she had relatives in the area made the move much easier. “I’ve never regretted coming to Chatham and doubt I could have found a better school!”

2. She’s a double major with a minor. Studying Art History and English with a minor in Art Museum Studies, Youssef pays close attention to creativity. “I was first drawn to [Art History] after taking a general Art History course (primarily World Art) in high school and decided to pursue it as my field of study upon the encouragement of my Asian Art instructor at Chatham,” she says. “It became important to me when I discovered that I didn’t just want to be a journalist writing about art, but wanted to be involved in bringing great pieces to the public and educating them about it, as well.”

3. She’s widely involved: a writer and section editor for Her Campus Chatham, journalist for The Communiqué, published poet in The Minor Bird, and an actress in Drama Club’s One-Act Festival. Beyond that…

4. She can sing. Like, seriously rock it. Whether she’s taking on opera or riffing on “Red Solo Cup”, her natural ability is evident. “Music is my life, and there’s nothing I love better than sharing my passion with others by recommending my favorite artists as a tribute both to the musicians and as an opportunity to entertain my readers,” she says.

Youssef’s musical sensibility and technical knowledge served her well when she started with Her Campus Chatham as Entertainment Writer. “When I was told that I could write album reviews of country soundtracks, how could I say no?”

It’s true that Youssef is a country conousseur. Her first album purchase was a Brad Paisley CD, opening her up to a whole new realm of musical inspiration: “Garth Brooks, Scotty McCreery, Loretta Lynn, Reba McEntire, Ronnie Dunn and Kenny Chesney are my biggest influences,” she says. “Not only do I try to borrow from their sound for my own songwriting, but their determination, achievement, and passion have inspired me to pursue music myself.”

With her commitment to artistry, Youssef is a powerful addition to the HC Chatham team. She brings an excellent mix of kindness and constructive criticism to her role as Blog Section Editor. “I have fun reading my peers’ pieces, and helping them improve, just as I enjoy getting feedback from my editors,” she shares. “I’ve also found that it’s a great way to connect with the rest of the staff and make new friends.”

Youssef remarks on the good vibe she’s encountered within HC Chatham. “The entire staff actually enjoys what they’re doing and writes pieces that reflect their real interests. Everyone contributing is always excited and is nothing but supportive of their peers!”

Right now, Youssef is shooting for a career as a country music artist or a museum curator. Though the HC Chatham team has no doubt Youssef will end up in the spotlight, it’s such a privilege to work with her every week. The joy, dedication and sense of perfection she brings to every article and every project reflects the adage of her favorite quote:

“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you’ll land among the stars.”–Les Brown

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.