Follow-Up Friday: Five Questions for Kate Wenger, Reference Librarian at Chatham University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

Follow-Up Friday is a new HC Chatham feature! We’re checking back in with Celebs we’ve featured in the past to see what they’re up to now. In January 2012, we interviewed Campus Celebrity Kate Wenger, Reference Librarian and leader of many on-campus library workshops. Now, we’re talking to her less than two weeks before the International Edible Book Festival! Stop by the main floor of the library on Tuesday, April 1 from 4:30pm to 5:30pm to taste the amazing books-turned-food created by fellow members of the Chatham community (or enter a culinary masterpiece of your own!). Find out what Wenger loves about the festival (and how you can get involved) in our interview.

HC Chatham: What can students expect at the Edible Book Festival?

Kate Wenger: The Edible Book Festival is a fun event that celebrates books and food. Attendees are encouraged to create an ‘edible book,’ which is a food dish that represents a book in some way – it could look like a book, it could be a food referenced in a book, etc. If you don’t have time to create a book, please stop by to view and eat all the creative and tasty books that others have made! You’ll also have the opportunity to vote for your favorite edible book for the Most Popular Vote prize. The winners of the other four prizes are determined by a panel of judges. Additional information, including requirements if you are submitting an edible book, can be found on myChatham.

What do you love most about the Edible Book Festival each year?

Honestly, it’s just a really fun, relaxed event. Everyone seems to have a great time viewing and eating the edible books. If you are curious, you can check out some of the books from last year’s festival on our Library Facebook page.

How can students get involved with the festival?

Students can get involved with the festival in two ways:
1. Create and make an edible book to enter into the contest.
2. Simply attend the event and eat the edible books others have made.

What is your favorite food-related book and why?

A coworker turned me on to food memoirs a while back, and I really enjoyed Garlic and Sapphires: The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise by Ruth Reichl. Reichl was the restaurant critic for The New York Times, and the book chronicles her attempts to disguise herself to avoid special treatment by owners and waitstaff at NY restaurants. The disguises were pretty crazy, and she created personalities to go along with them, so the book is highly entertaining.

What are your top three favorite foods?

​I’m not sure how anyone could pick just three! Dark chocolate and hot tea are always on my list. Other than that, currently, I’d have to say I simply cannot get enough asparagus – yum!
  Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.