Emily Cassel ’13, Life Coach

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

Emily Cassel knows how to run a meeting. As the Executive Vice President of Chatham Student Government, she spent her 2012/2013 academic year hosting monthly Student Organization Forums (SOFs) in Woodland. Crammed into the Residence Life Lounge, representatives nibbled on seasonal snack spreads, sprawling out on comfy couches or crowding around tables. Focusing dozens of students at 9pm sounds like a challenge, but everyone knew to settle down for a discussion when Cassel took her seat in the center of the floor.  

She challenged everyone to brainstorm, to collaborate, and to speak candidly. When the conversation careened toward negativity, she answered concerns with solid solutions. And when students couldn’t see the connections between their ideas, she played matchmaker: disparate organizations formed powerful relationships for their events and initiatives to come. That talent for building bonds and strengthening students is one she still puts to use in her new project: life coaching.

Update: Emily Cassel is now officially a CEO! Learn more at her newly-redesigned website.

HC Chatham: Why did you choose Chatham?

Emily Cassel: I chose to attend Chatham because I wanted to be a big fish in a small pond. I wanted all the opportunities to be available to me that would really shape me into the woman I wanted to be. I had done a short-term Rotary exchange in Australia in high school, and my host parents had a family tradition of sending their children to all-girls schools. They said wonderful things about the connections made there with other women and lifelong friendships. I really believed then, and believe even more now, that sisterhood is extremely important.

What did you study?

At Chatham, I was a Psychology major with a double minor in Marketing and Sustainable Food Systems. I have always been passionate about what motivates people, and specifically, what makes certain people so happy and successful while others are miserable and can never seem to make ends meet. I also always knew in the back of my mind that I wanted to own my own business so that I could have the flexibility and opportunity to create a life that was specifically catered to my wants, needs, and desires – success on my own terms, in other words – so I wanted to make sure I took some business classes to balance out the social science part of my degree. I am also very into food and health, so I self-created my minor in Sustainable Food Systems.

What did you do outside of the classroom?

I was an RA, an officer of Naturality, an executive board member of CSG. I was also in the Scholars program and a member of Psi Chi. I worked on campus in the Psychology Dept. as a tutor for Statistics & Research Design. I may be forgetting something… I was always extremely busy!

What does a life coach do? What differentiates a life coach from a therapist?

Let me preface this by saying that there are many different styles of life coaching out there! But in my opinion, a life coach assists people in co-creating their best lives possible, on their own terms. We hold our clients accountable for following through, creating space for massive action and incredible results. We help our clients to harness their power and develop themselves more in the process, and get rid of thoughts and actions that do not serve them in reaching their goals and creating a beautiful life. A therapist tends to work with clients who have been diagnosed with a psychological disorder, whereas life coaches work with high achievers who want more out of life, feel that something’s missing, or feel like they are really destined for more than what they are currently doing. Basically, we help clients to create a better life experience. The way I envision the difference is that if you imagine a spectrum of someone’s mental state, a therapist would help someone get from negative to neutral, while a life coach helps someone get from neutral to greatness and positivity. A therapist tends to look for problems, while a life coach searches for solutions and solves problems. Life coaching is very forward-thinking and action-oriented.

How did you decide to become a life coach?

I felt very called to serve and to help teach people skills for improving their life experience. I have always felt that my purpose was to help and teach using my own positivity and enthusiasm about life to help others create a beautiful life experience for themselves. I’ve also been really itching to start my own business, so this is really perfect for me! I feel very aligned with my passion and purpose and am so excited to be able to share all this amazing information with my clients! I’ve also always loved studying success and positive psychology, so this couldn’t be a better fit for me.

What training have you undergone? How would you describe that experience?

My training is through Mentor Masterclass with Jeannine Yoder. It is absolutely the most amazing thing I’ve ever done for myself. The program places a huge emphasis on sisterhood, and the support I receive is absolutely incredible and I’m constantly inspired. The course material is incredible – it’s a 12-month program, and each month we get a new workbook with a certain theme. Each week also has a theme, and the first week of each month is “Walk Your Talk” so we basically learn how to implement the types of changes we’re learning about on ourselves so we can understand what our clients are going to be experiencing, and so that we can better live our best and most beautiful lives imaginable. We have weekly teleclasses, sister circle meetings, and coaching/accountability partner calls with other women in the group. It’s all online, but we all connect through multiple platforms and feel like we know each other! It’s so amazing. I would highly recommend this to anyone who is considering this path.

Who should work with a life coach? What kinds of problems can you help people solve or situations can you help people work through?

I honestly believe everyone should have a life coach. I help people maximize their lives, essentially. Usually that takes the form of helping them gain clarity and support around their vision for themselves and for the world, clarifying their values, strategic goal setting, massive action and accountability, reframing limiting beliefs, etc. There are so many incredible techniques to use, and it all depends on the client and what they need and want from a coaching relationship. I specialize in helping young (20-something) women in transition to become more aligned with their purpose and create a massively beautiful and successful life on their own terms that makes them feel powerful and vibrant every day.

What is a typical session with you like?

I don’t really have a “typical” session, since it depends on my client. For my 60-minute free Power Sessions, I usually start with goals, do some values clarification, fear crushing, and affirmations. I end with accountability tasks for the week for my client to report back to me on whether they followed through on. In sessions with my regular clients, I structure each session based on the client and their progress. It’s fairly flexible, and it depends on what my client feels they need support around at that time.

People may be reluctant to seek out a life coach because they’re afraid of appearing weak or unable to solve their own problems. What would you say to them?

I would say that if you’re afraid to seek out help, then you should definitely have a life coach to help you step into your power and be comfortable asking for help! ;) In all seriousness, the people I work with aren’t weak – they’re already strong and want to harness their power even more to really get tangible results in their lives, whether in their careers, relationships, or personal lives. A life coach is a fantastic tool to invest in if you feel like you’re spinning your wheels in any areas of your life. If you want progress, empowerment, and serious change, a life coach is for you. If you’re someone who feels like you don’t want to change and you’re complacent in whatever you’re doing, coaching isn’t for you. If you don’t want to create a life that you really love and live out your bliss, coaching isn’t for you.

In many ways, you’re an entrepreneur now. What advice do you have for students interested in starting their own business?

DO IT. It’s a great skill set to have, it gives you a ton of flexibility, and you call the shots.  If you have a serious passion for something but don’t know how to translate it into a business concept, come see me. I specialize in working with women who are in transition – usually this includes entrepreneurship and the decision to stay in a 9-5 that they’re not completely invigorated by or to just go for it!

Outside of life coaching, what else are you up to now?

I currently work for WHIRL Publishing, a local magazine publishing company in Pittsburgh as an Account Executive. I do a lot of event planning, event attending, and I get to meet with a ton of really awesome entrepreneurs who have followed their bliss and help create promotional packages that best suit their needs.

What advice do you have for graduates as they transition into their life after college?

Set up a free session with me to gain some clarity. : ) If you don’t spend time NOW creating a vision for your future and gaining more clarity around the person you are, the person you want to be, and what your intentions are for yourself and the world, you’re going to wake up one day and have a life you don’t want. I really believe in living fully and with intention. Each decision you make should be aligned with your values, and if you haven’t thought about what those actually are, it’s time!

What is one question you think all college students should ask themselves?

“What does the future look like for me and for the world?”

What is the most important lesson you’ve learned about yourself since graduation?

The most important lesson I’ve learned about myself is that I was brought up to be very judgmental and was unknowingly perpetuating that bad habit in my life. When I was able to train my brain to be less judgmental and more accepting, my whole world shifted. So amazing!

Looking back on your undergraduate experience, what do you think is the most important thing Chatham taught you?

Do I have to choose one!? I would say that being a woman is an extremely powerful thing in so many ways, and that we are powerful creators of our own lives!

How can people follow your work? What would someone need to do to set up a session?           

You can like my Facebook Page and read my blog and testimonials at www.emilycassel.squarespace.com. If you’re feeling called to set up a free session with me, please email me at ecassel.lifecoach@gmail.com! I have a special package with discounted rates for my Chatham sisters!

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.