“Are You a Fan of Delicious Flavor?”: The Very Best of Psych

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

USA Network’s hit television show about a fake psychic, his pharmacist friend, and the Santa Barbara Police Department is back! Season 7 of Psych premieres on February 27th. Haven’t yet seen the show or just want to relive some of your favorite moments? Check out this top-ten list of the show’s very best. Does the new season, (and these old episodes) promise to be filled with puzzling mysteries, Shawn’s great quips, endless 80s pop culture references, and a pineapple or two? “You know that’s right!”

“Pilot”

A basic Psych 101 that explains how hyper-observant slacker Shawn Spencer is hired by the SBPD as their resident psychic. This is a great intro for any new fans, and a lovely walk down memory lane for long-time followers of the comedy-drama.

“American Duos”

For anyone watching Season 12 of American Idol this year, this episode is a special treat! The spoof of the show stars Tim Curry in a Simon Cowell-esque role. The twist? This judge is stalked by a murderer. Shawn and Gus go undercover as contestants, but can they win the contest and catch the criminal?

“Lights, Camera…Homicidio”

Did you know that actor James Roday was Hispanic? Here, he pays homage to his Mexican roots as Shawn is mistakenly cast as a guest star on a Spanish-language soap opera.  Will he be able to find the killer or will he get wrapped up in newfound fame?

“Gus Walks Into a Bank”

The title may sound like a joke, but when Gus finds himself held hostage, it’s no laughing matter! Shawn uses his sharp wit and fast thinking to rescue him, all while unraveling another mystery…

“Tuesday the 17th”

One of the show’s running gags is Shawn’s obsession with 80s cult classics. In “Tuesday the 17th”, the Santa Barbara detective finds himself in the middle of one of the most terrifying films of his favorite decade. A creepy camp, a violent murderer, and cute camp counselors – will this turn out to be a dream come true or a deadly nightmare?

“The Devil’s in the Details…and the Upstairs Bedroom”

Shawn has handled some pretty tough criminals. Can he keep up with the supernatural itself? Follow along as he and Gus track down a ghost that haunts a college campus, and don’t forget to lock your doors.

“Bollywood Homicide”

When a string of Indian dancers meet their untimely deaths, Shawn, Gus, and Juliet go deep undercover to break the so-called curse.

“Shawn Takes a Shot in the Dark”

By far the show’s most riveting episode in which Shawn is shot while on a case, and must be rescued by his family and friends.

“Dual Spires”

This episode is the show’s tribute to the classic television series Twin Peaks, and stars its original cast. Perhaps one of the most challenging of the Psych duo’s mysteries, it’ll keep you guessing until the very end. Just try not to get too distracted with the thought of that cinnamon pie!

“Shawn, Interrupted”

A fake psychic detective masquerading as a mental ward patient is this episode’s basic premise. Hilarity ensues as Shawn’s own antics clash with the insanity of those around him, and will have you laughing out loud like a lunatic. 

The Yin/Yang Trilogy

The captivating drama of this three-part adventure is one you won’t soon forget. It initially premiered with “An Evening with Mr. Yang” in Season 3, continued with the Season 4 finale “Mr. Yin Presents…” and finally concluded in Season 5 with “Yang 3 in 2D”. You’ll be staying up late to follow Shawn from the beginning of his chase with notorious serial killers to the last episode’s chilling end.

Photo Credits

Poster: Link

Group Shot: Link

HerCampus Chatham's Entertainment Writer, Onastasia Youssef graduated from high school in 2010 and entered Chatham University the same year. Although she majors in Art History and English, she has always had a passion for music journalism. She hopes to engage her readers with exciting stories that will broaden their knowledge of musical genres and provide them with the very latest in the entertainment world. Random Fun Facts: Favorite Movie - The Avengers Favorite Album - No Fences Favorite Color - Blue Favorite Food - Yogurt (yes, yogurt)
  Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.