All That Glitters: The Soundtrack of “Sparkle”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

[All views expressed in this review are solely those of the author]

Two of our favorite R&B singers star in the new movie, Sparkle, a remake of the 1976 film about a fictional group of singing sisters making their way through Motown. On the soundtrack, Whitney Houston and Jordin Sparks – alongside other stars, such as Cee Lo Green – remake songs from the original motion picture for a 21st century audience.

After his smash hits “Crazy” and “Forget You,” there was little doubt in the mind of fans that Cee Lo Green has the vocal power and ability to take on Motown. So it’s no surprise that the CD starts off with his outstanding rendition of “I’m a Man.” Composed of brassy horns and smooth singing, it’s a laid-back yet memorable piece that immediately transitions us from the world of modern R&B to the world of 1960s soul.

One of the best tunes of the entire soundtrack, however, is “Running” from Goapele, a song that appears out of the blue from an unknown singer, and sparkles even brighter than one would ever expect! Despite her lack of fame, Goapele has one of the richest voices in the cast. With perfect inflection on every word, she glides smoothly from her upper to lower register. Her vocals also match perfectly with her backups, a blend essential to creating that perfect Motown sound. Goapele makes a tune as soulful, genuine and brilliant as the original 1960s and ’70s material that was its inspiration.

However, it is towards the end of the album that we all get to hear what we came for: the late great Whitney Houston performing “His Eye is On the Sparrow.” Although it was one of her very last recordings, she returns to her roots in the church and delivers one of her most emotional recordings in over a decade, a crown to her historic legacy. Playing the mother to Sparkle and her sisters, a tired and retired star, Houston sounds anything but in her moving rendition of the classic gospel tune. This is a must for any fan of Houston or of Motown that includes touching, heartwrenching vocals and a beautiful organ to support her.

Almost as if inheriting Houston’s legacy, Jordin Sparks owns Sparkle the second she sings the new song “One Wing.” With an R&B beat, she performs as stirringly as her contemporaries, such as Beyoncé, reminding us of how she became America’s idol years ago. Performing a tune of redemption and rejuvenation, she hits the highest notes with pure gusto and sings with a startling confidence and expert execution that makes the entire CD a journey worth taking.

In this song, Sparks reaches heights that even her most loyal fans never expected to hear, taking her technique and bringing it to a whole new level. The climax of the song, where she sings a riff a cappella, is sure to knock audiences across the country off their feet! “One Wing” is the most inspirational song from the entire soundtrack and is the very definition of “sparkle.” 

Beautifully wrapped up with “Love Will,” a sweet resolution to the film sung by Jordin Sparks, and the phenomenal duet between Sparks and Houston, “Celebrate” (which you will have to hear to believe!), the soundtrack Sparkle brings back a nostalgia for Motown, although it doesn’t meet the original’s standards as few of the cast’s voices are full enough to hearken to R&B’s gospel roots. It often appears as a half-hearted remake rather than an inspired reincarnation.

Even while some of the singers seem out of place, still others assert their own dominance in the modern-day music industry by demonstrating their full capability to croon to the sounds of soul and disco. There is no doubt that Sparkle – like its characters – is flawed. But that doesn’t mean that it never shines. With inspiring lyrics and an old-school feeling, the album Sparkle will ultimately put a smile on the face of listeners both young and old, making it an ultimately unmissable album.

HerCampus Chatham's Entertainment Writer, Onastasia Youssef graduated from high school in 2010 and entered Chatham University the same year. Although she majors in Art History and English, she has always had a passion for music journalism. She hopes to engage her readers with exciting stories that will broaden their knowledge of musical genres and provide them with the very latest in the entertainment world. Random Fun Facts: Favorite Movie - The Avengers Favorite Album - No Fences Favorite Color - Blue Favorite Food - Yogurt (yes, yogurt)
  Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.