9 Struggles of Being Short and Finding Clothes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

Mud is thine enemy, and the kids clothing section is a life saver.

1. Pants

No pair of pants can ever fit right, ever. If they’re flared, your pants drag on the ground. If they’re skinny, they bunch at your ankles. They’re either too baggy or too tight. Sometimes, you get lucky and find short-cut pants. At other times you are forced to suffer. Most of the time you are forced to suffer.

2. Skirts

As someone that loves maxi skirts, shopping for one is absolutely painful. None of them are ever the right length; they’re always too long. Some are more bearable than others, sure. Usually though, you have four options: hike the skirt up so it becomes high waisted (and then go a size up so it doesn’t look awkward), wear heels so it doesn’t drag, carry the skirt so that it doesn’t drag on the ground, or accept your fate of tripping over anything and everything each time you wear your wannabe circus tent.

3. Kids clothes

Slowly it seems my wardrobe is being taken over by items I find in the children’s section of each stores I frequent. Sweater? Kids section. Hoodies? Kids section. I still have pants from when I was 12 years I’ve kept around. Why? Because kids clothes fit better than clothing meant for people my own age. Don’t judge me.

4. You can become your clothing

What I mean by this is your clothes seem to swallow you if you buy them at too large of a size. Several of my sweaters seem to consume me each time I wear them. Suddenly, you are no longer the person wearing the oversized sweater. You are the oversized sweater, one with its woolen fabric.

5. Too tight, too tight

Sometimes, you attempt to go for your size and it’s too big, so you opt to go down a size thinking all will be well, but it isn’t. As it turns out, this size is too small.  You can hardly breathe in this dress/shirt/skirt/tight item of your choice. At this juncture you have two options: go baggy, or suffocate. Your pick.

6. You could hem your pants or skirts, but…

When you’re a 21-year-old broke college student, you don’t exactly either have time to mend the issue yourself, nor can you really afford a decent tailor. Good for you if you have time for either of those things, but the rest of us have to suffer over here.

7. Even Petite doesn’t fit quite right

Petite clothes are made for people on the short side, sure. Sometimes you get incredibly lucky to find good petite clothes. Sometimes though, not even petite can save you. Even petite can be too big or too small. Cry it out, friend. Just cry it out.

8. Store attendants

Attendants look at your height and automatically assume you’re smaller than you actually are. Yes, I know I’m 5’0” and look like I belong in the seventh grade. Thank you for helping but trust me, I know my size. I shan’t be stuffing myself in that x-x-x-x-small, thank you. 

9. Old Faithfuls

I’ve got five different items of clothing in which fit me exactly how I want them to Most items of clothing I have from these stores fit properly, I’m never swimming in fabric or suffocating in it. As a result, I wear these all the time, multiple times a week and sometimes more than that. It’s taken years of searching, but these pieces have never betrayed me before, and I pray to the heavens that they never do. 

Born in 1994, Ashe has tumbled in the woods, been attacked by animals and gotten lost on clear-cut trails in the search of an adventure. She enjoys nature in all aspects, fantasy novels and comics, and listens to music that is almost never in English.
Indigo Baloch is the HC Chatham Campus Correspondent. She is a junior at Chatham University double majoring in Creative Writing and Journalism and double minoring Graphic Design and an Asian Studies Certificate. Indigo is a writer and Editorial Assistant at Maniac Magazine and occasionally does book reviews for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. She is also the Public Relations Director for The Mr. Roboto Project (a music venue in Pittsburgh) and creates their monthly newsletter. During her freshman and sophomore year, Indigo was the Editor-in-Chief of Chatham's student driven newsprint: Communique. Currently, on campus, Indigo is the Communications Coordinator for Minor Bird (Chatham's literary magazine), the Public Relations Director for Chatham's chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, and a Staff Writer and Columnist for Communique. She has worked as a Fashion Editorial Intern for WHIRL Magazine, and has been a featured reader at Chatham's Undergraduate Reading Series and a featured writer in Minor Bird. She loves art, music, film, theater, writing, and traveling.