15 Reasons We Love Our RAs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

1. They’re some of the first (and most enthusiastic) people we meet as first years…

2. …and they help us haul an absurd number of plastic bins and suitcases up residence hall stairs. 

3. When you’re having a terrible day, they help you remember your own awesomeness.

4. But no matter what you face – a breakup, a failing grade – they’ll make sure you keep moving forward.

5. They’re pros at taking on the tough stuff, from roommate disputes…

6. …to insects. When there’s a spider/centipede/stink bug, the RA suddenly becomes the bravest person on the floor.

7. They make sure your home away from home doesn’t dissolve into chaos…

8. …but they do throw amazing parties of their own.

9. They keep weeknights fun, proving you’re never too old for crafts and board games.

10. When they’re on call, they’re basically superheroes.

11. And when they leave, you’re not sure what will happen.

12. But they’re somehow always there when you need them.

13. They’re some of the most compassionate, generous people you’ve ever met.

14. And they give the best hugs.

15. Basically, your RA is your biggest cheerleader.

And you’ll always be grateful for her.

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.