Why Your Vote Matters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

Nov. 8 is fast approaching in what is sure to be a historic election year. We have the prospect of the first female president. We’ve witnessed polarizing campaign strategies in the year of scandals amongst both parties from Wikileaks. From sexual misconduct allegations and congressional investigations, it’s easy to lament our choices and the value of our vote. Many Americans feel that their vote may not count; however, there are thousands upon thousands of individuals who can vote, and yet do not. It adds up. This may resonate more with younger voters, but here are some thoughts for you consider as Nov. 8 approaches:

• According to the Pew Research Center, the millennial generation accounts for one-third of the electorate, matching Baby Boomers at 31%.
  • Yet, only 46% of Millennials cast a vote in 2012.
  • Young voters are more likely to support issues such as legalizing same-sex marriage, paving a pathway to citizenship for immigrants, and legalizing abortion than other age demographics.
  • In most communities, the turnout for voting is less than 50 percent.  

Here are a few reasons why your vote matters:

1. Vote ratios matter. Even if you live in a state that swings one way or another, the ratio by which the candidates win or lose matters. A landslide win makes for a more powerful politician than one who barely squeaks by. Your vote can either help keep that power in check or give it an extra boost. 
  2. The pollsters might be wrong. It’s easy to get discouraged about voting if you listen to the media’s predictions. We all know that the media is not always the most reliable place for information.
  3. You’re only one person, but so is everybody else who votes. If millions of people stay home because they think their votes don’t count, the people who do turn out to vote become much more powerful. Are their voices more important than yours? Your vote is your voice. Elect to be heard.
  4.  Your vote always counts. Not just in close elections, in every election. There have been several cases in U.S. history where this has been seen. A New Hampshire Senate race was decided by two votes out of 223,363 in 1974. Your vote counts the same as every other individual who votes. Just be sure to send your ballot back by your state’s deadline!
  5.  You can vote from literally anywhere in the world. Vote by absentee ballot when you’re at college or away from your polling location. Visit here for more information on obtaining an absentee ballot.
  6. You live in a democracy. Voting is one of your most precious American rights. Enjoy it!