Why You Shouldn’t Listen To The Haters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

Hurtful comments have reached a whole new level, especially with social media coming into play; the haters can try to tear you down anywhere anytime. Whether in person or online, it still hurts. I’ve experienced being the girl who just can’t seem to ever get it right, and I’m here to tell you that it’s definitely not worth it to take what they say seriously. In high school, these girls told me that I “really need to be filling in my eyebrows,” and I took their comments seriously. I became self conscious about it when I never had a problem with my eyebrows in the first place. Or the time when I bought a new dress that I loved and right after I arrived at school, this girl told me I was dressed like a grandma. After that, I was hesitant to wear it to school when I should’ve just worn it because I liked it. It took me way too long to stop putting importance on other people’s comments when I’m much happier just living life as my authentic self and not letting others decide who I should be or how I should look.  

1. Only YOU know what’s best for you. Don’t give anyone else the power to decide for you.

2.  Express yourself the way you want. Whether it’s how you dress or a hobby you enjoy, do it because you want to.

3. Obsessing over what people will think isn’t worth all the time and effort you put into worrying about it.