Why NOT to Do It for the Insta

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

Instagram: one of our generation’s favorite ways to express ourselves and connect with others. It’s become a way of getting to know a person’s life. Who they’ve dated, what their high school was like, their best friends, etc. It has truly become a way we represent ourselves online. As it becomes more popular, the overall appeal is growing as well. Does this picture go with my flow? Which filter should I use? I need to download another editing app!

We are spending so much unnecessary energy on our Instagrams. I have found myself googling, “the best time to post on Instagram” and even spending money on extra filters. While it’s a method of creative expression, we are taking it as another actual representation of ourselves. But is it really an honest way of showing who we are?

Personally, I’ve gone to events and tried new things with the hopes of leaving with a good picture to post. However, we could have easily had one of the crummiest days, but still post about it and no one would ever know. Why? When we look at that picture, we know what we were feeling behind the posed smile. Are we almost trying to prove to ourselves that we are happier and have a better life than we think we do? This is where the issue lies.

With Instagram as such a crucial piece of our online presence, we sometimes find ourselves posting things that are not true to us. This false appearance leads to false expectations of who people are. If we hear of a girl in our class and go lurk her online, she looks perfect. Her surfer boyfriend works in LA, she models for a magazine, makes delicious acaí bowls, and drinks smooth soy lattes. Can she get any cooler? Probably not. But then we meet her, and the illusion falls short. She’s stressed out of her mind, misses her boyfriend, on a strict diet from her nutritionist, and has an intense allergy to dairy. At the same time too, she’s an incredible girl. She’s determined, hardworking, caring, funny, and even a little quirky. But these are not things we can take from a sunset picture of her doing yoga. 

Long story short: we learn what people are doing, not who they are.

It’s not to say that one can’t and shouldn’t post what they’re up to. But at the end of the day, it’s just an image. An image that very possibly was posed for and has gone through multiple filters. It’s critical to stay true to who you are. Instagram is a wonderfully easy way to tap into our creativity, but there is so much more about that individual than the picture.

Remember this when you Facebook, Twitter, or even Instagram stalk others. While social media is a way to connect with others, there’s nothing more bonding than sharing life stories when you’re sitting by the beach with someone in person. Find out who that girl in your sorority is. Find out about her cool internship. Find out about her family. There are so many more stories and emotions than the aesthetically pleasing pictures we post. Remember not just to express yourself, but represent the real you.