Why It’s OK to Put Yourself First

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

I’ve always prided myself on being a people-pleaser. I’m confident enough to say that  I’m a good friend. I enjoy being a sounding board and a shoulder to cry on. I’m indecisive by nature, because I don’t want to upset anyone. In truth, I rarely ever put myself first or consider what I really want. I always act in accordance with what is best for the group, without even taking into account my own feelings. It’s taken some time, but I’ve recently realized that selflessness isn’t always the answer. Sometimes, it’s okay to put yourself first. Sometimes, it is more than okay to be selfish.

If we keep worrying about what other people think, fail to prioritize what makes us happy and exert a great deal of our energy into making sure everyone else in comfortable, how will we benefit in the long run? Life is really short and unpredictable, and there is absolutely no shame in speaking up and putting yourself, your needs and your desires first.

Whether it be choosing what movie to see, or removing yourself from a situation that isn’t serving you, be bold. Make the decision to be happy and to be in charge of your own destiny. Don’t let others sway your opinions, and while it’s great to be flexible and easy-going, don’t always go with the flow. Let your voice be heard and be unafraid to be you. If we pretend to be something other than our genuine selves, we will likely end up in toxic environments surrounded by those who don’t have our best interests at heart. 

So take off the mask and live your life. Of course it’s great to be supportive of others, but there is a time and a place to rank other people’s feelings more significant than your own.You deserve to follow your own path, engage in activities that make you happy, and be ambitious. If you feel in your gut that you need to do something, do it. If you know you’ll be happier once you get something off your chest, say it. This school year, live for you! Put yourself first and make decisions that you will enjoy the benefits of. Work on you, and contribute to your own well-being. Take care of yourself, spoil yourself, treat yourself, and be yourself.