Why Being Single is Better Than You Think

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

This isn’t one of those screw men, I hate Valentine’s Day kind of posts because I’m not bitter about being single, quite the opposite I love it! It took me awhile to embrace, but it appears that most women don’t share my opinion. With each passing birthday, women seem to get more anxious about finding that special someone. All throughout high school and college I would hear girls complain about being eternally single, even myself sometimes. I don’t know how being single became the new plague, but being unattached in your 20s can be a blessing instead of a curse. It’s a time where (as cliché it sounds) you’re “discovering yourself” and your passions. It’s a time that’s equally terrifying and exciting because the possibilities are endless. So before you save a date in your calendar for a June wedding at the Plaza, here are some things to focus on if you’re single instead of waiting for someone to swipe left on Tinder.

1.     Traveling

Studying abroad was easily the best thing I’ve done in my four years of college. For many students, spending 6 months apart from your SO on opposite continents can complicate things. There are some couples who study abroad together, and it’s great for some, but personally I know I would have never jumped out of my comfort zone if I brought a boyfriend along. Plus, so many cute foreigners!  

2.     Pursuing your passion

Yes, it’s cheesy, but it’s a cliché for a reason. A small percentage of graduates end up in the job field they majored in. Even if you know what you want to pursue, chances are you aren’t there yet or else you wouldn’t be in college. Being selfish isn’t always a negative thing- college is one of the times in your life you can afford to be selfish and it’s understandable. Whether its landing an internship in the area you’re interested in or planning for graduate school. Whatever your dream is, make small goals that contribute to reaching it.

3.     Going out of your comfort zoneThis is especially true your freshman year of college. There are so many opportunities to get involved with a group of people who share similar interests from sports teams to theater and everything in-between. It’s nearly impossible to find something you’re interested in to help improve your mood and meet new people.

4.     Starting freshOne of the many benefits of being unattached is being able to pick up and move whenever you want without having to discuss it with someone else.

5.     Finding what you do & don’t likeFor me, last week it was beards this week it’s man buns. Not to say that they are the deciding factor when talking to a guy, but it’s fun meeting different people to help give you a perspective on what draws your attention and what turns you off. An example is the more I talk to guys I know that its important that a guy understands my sarcastic humor and can roll with the punches instead of taking it personally. 

student writer for Chapman University