This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

More often than not, people use the phrase “basic white girl” or “that’s so basic.” In fact, Urban Dictionary defines basic as “The typical girl that thinks she is cool because she’s artsy, can make a duck face, carries around coffee cups, and wears designer brands.” While basics are often looked down upon as shallow people with little substance, they don’t have to feel bad about the things they do–snapchatting their Starbucks (especially when it’s time for the Pumpkin Spice Latte), referencing Gossip Girl or Mean Girls pretty much all the time, shopping at Brandy Melville or Nordstrom BP, wearing flower headbands to Coachella, and listening to mainly Top 40 hits. What’s so wrong with bumping Taylor Swift?

If we classify as a label or stereotype, doesn’t everyone? Hipsters, punk kids, artsy-types, trap queens, and the Anna Kendricks of the world…you know what I’m getting at. We often praise the more edgy personalities, not in spite of the fact that they stray away from the norms but because of it. I can be alternative for a day and have fun at Outside Lands with my friends because it’s a good time, but if I couldn’t listen to a Billboard Top 20 single or buy non-thrifted clothes at least once in awhile, my life would be pretty boring. Which is why I don’t understand how non-basic people are able to be like that… All. The. Time. Like, you do you and everything because everyone has different preferences, but following a certain trend or “lifestyle” doesn’t mean you always have to stick to it. No one would hate you if you took a break from pretending to like Mac DeMarco for one day and actually jam out with the rest of us. You’re welcome to join me in my white Jetta anytime as we sing along to Miley. Hells yeah.

I don’t know about you, but personally I have the most fun with basic people. If you think about it, there’s no one else more relatable universally. Who else on the street could you have a conversation with about the latest episode of Scream Queens or ask to borrow their copy of Cosmo while waiting to get your hair done? Keep making fun of us all you want, but we’re basic and we love it. If you’ll excuse me, I have a kale salad waiting for me.