What in the World is Going On?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

Welcome to Her Campus, and good for you for keeping up with current events!

Apple:

What happened?

This week, Apple sent out a message informing customers that the US government had ordered the company to take steps that could potentially threaten the security of Apple’s customers. Apple sent out the letter to let everyone know that they are not okay with this.

Why is this important?

As a result of the act of terrorism that occurred in San Bernardino last year, a federal court ordered that Apple unlock an iPhone used by the attacker. According to the letter, the FBI asked that Apple essentially create a “backdoor” to the iPhone, that would make it possible to unlock any iPhone. Apple is against the FBI’s request for a simple reason: hackers. In the wrong hands, Apple claims, this backdoor technology could threaten the security of Apple customers (aka a lot of people) and personal information could be accessed by anybody with access to the technology. This software does not exist yet, and Apple has no plans to create it. Basically, Apple’s intention is to set a secure precedent and to keep private information, private. Thanks for looking out, Apple.

South Dakota:

What happened?

South Dakota’s state Senate voted to approve a bill ordering that students at public schools use bathrooms and facilities based on their sex assigned at birth, as opposed to the gender they identify with.

Why is this important?

While supporters of the bill claim that the law is necessary to protect the privacy of children, we can pretty much assume that it will lead to discrimination against transgender students. Even though the bill was approved by the state Senate, it still needs to be signed by Governor Dennis Daugaard (R) of South Dakota, who seems to be in support of the bill. While plenty of other states have attempted to pass transphobic bathroom laws, South Dakota’s will be the first in the United States, if signed.

Turkey:

What happened?

28 people were killed and 60 more were injured as a result of a rush-hour car bomb in Turkey’s capital, Ankara. The bomb was confirmed as targeted toward military personnel.

Why is this important?

While there was initially no claim to responsibility for the attack, the Turkish government has been quick to blame Kurdish militants for the bombing, specifically the PKK (Kurdistan Workers’ Party). Turkey has been dealing with a lot lately, from fighting Kurdish rebels to threats from the Islamic State to an influx of people entering the country as a result of the Syrian refugee crisis. Turkey has since expressed the possibility of retaliation. The United States already identifies the PKK as a terrorist group, but Turkey wants the US to end its support of Kurdish Syrian militias. The US denied the request, mainly because the crisis in Syria is a confusing web of groups fighting one another, and it’s really difficult to tell who should be supported and who should not be.

Porter Ranch, California:

What happened?

This week, a massive gas leak in Porter Ranch, California was permanently sealed. The leak was discovered on October 23, 2015.

Why is this important?

The leak, which took place at a SoCalGas facility in Porter Ranch, was releasing tons of methane into the air and thousands of residents in the area had to be evacuated from their homes as a result of the contaminated air. Families have begun to return to their homes and officials are claiming that the air in the area is now safe and that no long-term effects can be expected from the leak. However, homeowners in the area are still concerned about the impact of the gas leak and many are ordering for the permanent closing of SoCalGas facilities as a result of health concerns.