Was “The Choice” Worth the Wait?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

Let me begin with this tiny disclaimer: I am in no way self proclaiming that I am the master opinion of all things romantic. I like hot guys and I like watching chick flicks, crying no matter how bad they are, and talking a lot about my feelings. So here we go.

Over the years I have experienced two kinds of Nicholas Sparks fans; The ones who are bawling their eyes out at the end of everyone one of his films, wishing that they too had an epic love story with a Channing Tatum look-alike, and those who feel they have to apologize to their crying friend next to them because they thought the movie was ‘alright.’ Whichever side you’re on is perfectly fine. There’s nothing wrong with being a romantic and if watching attractive white people making out isn’t your thing, that’s fine too. However if you’re thinking to yourself ‘who is this Sparks guy and why should I care’ then let me be the first one to welcome you to the world of romance novels and their film adaptations.

Sparks has made a fortune for himself writing romance novels and another fortune on top of that for turning some of those great stories into films. Of his 20 published works, 11 have been transferred to the screen; the latest being his 2007 novel, “The Choice,” which was released in earlier this February. So how exactly does it compare to the rest of some of Spark’s most popular films? Warning, there are definitely some very romantic spoilers ahead.

The Notebook – 2004

Why it’s so good: Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling’s kiss scene in the rain. Enough said.

Why it’s so sad: Noah and Allie are actually the old couple. Her memory loss keeps them from being together, but Noah reads their story, that Allie wrote, to her in hopes that she will remember him. THEN THEY DIE IN THEIR SLEEP HOLDING EACH OTHER AND IT’S THE SADDEST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN

Cry rating: 10/10 – Grab some tissue

Critic’s rating: 52%

My rating: 85%

Dear John – 2010

Why it’s so good: You can stare at Channing Tatum stare off into the distance romantically and imagine he’s staring in your eyes instead. The soundtrack is also worth checking out.

Why it’s so sad: John struggles with his sick farther while handling his commitments to the special forces. Savannah…breaks it off with John and starts dating this older guy who’s dying…? I’m not exactly sure. It’s been a while since I last saw the film and it clearly wasn’t memorable enough for me to have my facts straight. 

Cry rating: 1/10 – I shed a single tear for Channing’s pouty face

Critic’s rating: 29%

My rating: 10%

The Last Song – 2010 

Why it’s so good: THIS IS WHEN MILEY AND LIAM FELL IN LOVE. AND NOW THEY’RE BACK TOGETHER. THEY PROBABLY WEREN’T EVEN ACTING.AHHHH

Why it’s so sad: I’m a sucker for a good love story that’s not just about the romantic interests. Ronnie reconnects with her estranged father while getting the hot dude, and getting to go to Juilliard. Plus. Miley on the soundtrack? It’s enough to make anyone tear up a little bit. 

Cry rating: 7/10 

Critic’s rating: 20%

My rating: 70%

Safe Haven – 2013

Why it’s so good: Katie’s on the run from her past and befriends the locals of a small beach town. She falls in love with Alex, a widow with two children, and although he makes her feel safe it may not be enough to protect her from her alcoholic and abusive husband determined to hunt her down. 

Why it’s so sad: Her only female friend throughout the film giving Katie advice is actually – surprise! – the ghost of Alex’s first wife. She finally passes giving Katie permission to be happy with her husband and children.

Cry rating: 5/10 – More cute then cry-worthy

Critic’s rating: 12%

My rating: 65%

The Best of Me – 2014 

Why it’s so good: James Marsden’s character, Dawson, is beautiful at every age. After they rekindle their love together and you get to see them fall in love as kids and again as adults.

Why it’s so sad:Amanda regrettably decides to return to her strained marriage and learns that her son needs a heart transplant. Meanwhile Dawson is killed by his abusive father. A year later Amanda receives the name of the heart donor. She finds out it’s Dawson’s heart that saved her child and I start crying hysterically.

Cry rating: 8/10

Critic’s rating: 8%

My rating: 80%

The Choice – 2016

Why it’s so good: Discount Kristen Stewart’s dog gets pregnant from her not-really-all-that-attractive neighbor’s dog. Their affair turns into a full on romance and they share cute catch phrases. He also builds her a gazebo under the stars when she falls into a coma caused by a car crash. 

Why it’s so sad: Because I really thought she wasn’t going to wake up from her coma and he was going to have to make the choice – haha I get it – of pulling the plug. She’s alive and gets to ‘bother’ her husband for the rest of their lives. 

Cry rating: 7/10

Critic’s rating: 7%

My rating: 30%