This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

College students are constantly being asked if they are excited to go home for the holidays, but the dilemma is, where is home? Is home your messy yet charming college dorm room, or is it the little white picket fence house in the suburbs?

Three months into the semester and the dorms can actually start to feel like home. Home is when you are surrounded by friends and people who love you, and you start to make connections. Life in the dorms gets comfortable. So, that being said, going home for the first time after being in college can be a culture shock at first.

Seeing your old friends is so nice, and when it feels like you never left, you have to go back to college. You have to come to this conclusion of feeling like you are split. You have the person you are at college and the person you are in your hometown with your high school friends. Eventually, they will morph into one person, but at first it is a little weird to get used to.

One way to cope with this is to remember how lucky you are to have two places where you have a reason to miss things. Missing people and places is hard, but with two homes comes twice the love. It is so wonderful to feel comfortable in two places that can sometimes be so far apart.

The struggle is how to deal with constantly missing at least one home. The secret is simple: think of the reasons why you miss it, and know that you get to see them soon. Two homes and two lives doesn’t just mean missing things, it means looking forward to seeing things.