This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

I have kind of a love-hate relationship with makeup.  I love that it can help me look like a living creature during finals week, but I hate that it takes time out of my schedule that could be used for sleeping.  One thing I love unconditionally, though, are cuddly animals, and like my revered role model Elle Woods, I’m here to campaign for their wellbeing.  I mean, I’m not going to Congress or anything, but I’m going to tell you about some of the top cruelty-free makeup brands on the market so you can feel good about looking good.

First, I want to distinguish that “cruelty-free” is not a legally defined term.  What that means is that these brands claim they do not test their products on animals, but they are not being held to any legal standards.  Still, giving them the benefit of the doubt, these are my top five cruelty-free makeup brands that I think you should try.

1. Too Faced Cosmetics

This is hands-down my favorite makeup brand.  They don’t test on animals, which is awesome, but their products are also amazing.  Their Shadow Insurance eyeshadow primer is gold and I can’t live without it.  They’re also slightly more affordable than other high-end makeup brands, which is a huge plus for college students.  Also, just look at their packaging.  Go ahead, I’ll wait here.  Yeah, it’s gorgeous.  You can find their products at toofaced.com and Sephora.

Products to try: Shadow Insurance Primer ($20), Better Than Sex Mascara ($23)

2. Urban Decay

Urban Decay is basically a cult classic at this point.  If you haven’t heard of their Naked eyeshadow pallets, you’ve probably been frozen in a block of ice Captain America-style.  Aside from making incredible eyeshadow pallets, they also refuse to test their products on animals and are committed to ending animal testing.  Can they possibly go wrong?  You can find Urban Decay at urbandecay.com and Sephora.

Products to try: Naked eyeshadow palettes ($54), All Nighter makeup setting spray ($30)

3. tarte

Tarte Cosmetics has been gaining popularity in the make-up world for the outstanding Amazonian clay foundation, concealer and blush, but they’re also kind to our furry friends!  This brand tends to be pretty pricey, but you’re paying for quality and peace of mind.  Look for their products at tartecosmetics.com and Sephora.

Products to try: Amazonian Clay airbrush foundation ($36), Lights, Camera, Lashes mascara ($21)

4. NYX

On the drugstore-end of the spectrum, one of my favorite brands is NYX.  Their products are really great quality for their price, and now that Target sells them they’re really easy to find.  Most drugstore brands do test on animals, so it’s nice to know that a good-quality, affordable option exists.  This brand is best-known for pigmented lipsticks and glosses, but all of their products are worth trying.  You can find them at nyxcosmetics.com and Target.

Products to try: Butter Gloss ($5), Super Skinny Eye Marker ($9.50)

5. e.l.f. Cosmetics

OK, this brand sells makeup for $1.  Seriously.  And they don’t test on animals!  So if you’re looking for some serious budget makeup, this is the brand for you.  Granted, their quality is hit-or-miss, but when the products run you less than $10, you can probably afford a few misses.  Find them at elfcosmetics.com, Target, and even our bookstore!

Products to try: Contouring Blush & Bronzing Powder ($4), Clear Brow & Lash Mascara ($2)

Sarcastic writer, Disney Cast Member, So Cal beach bunny. This is my Tinder profile, right?