This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

The Food

OMG yes. The food. Only in America do we have a holiday completely centered on eating food and we are so okay with it. There are so many food options on Thanksgiving and we love them all. Also, you can literally eat as much as you want without any judgment from anybody. Only truly awful people will judge you for the amount of food you eat on Thanksgiving and if some of them happen to be invited to your Thanksgiving gathering, we give you our permission to judge them for being the actual worst.

Family

After being away from home for so long, there is nothing we love more than hanging out with our families, as crazy as they may be. Hanging out with your family so much will somehow make you simultaneously want a longer and a shorter Thanksgiving break.

Football (???)

I’m sorry but don’t these football players have families? I mean I’m sure they’d much rather be eating turkey like the rest of us commoners. (Correction: Only in America do we have a holiday completely centered on eating food AND watching football for no apparent reason.).

The Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade

The Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade is (weirdly) one of my favorite things about Thanksgiving. I’m not kidding. It’s so much fun to watch, for about 20 minutes. After that it kind of just serves as really good background noise while your mom makes you help her with the turkey.

The Great Pie Debate

I could have put this under food, but let’s be honest with ourselves here: pie needs a category of its own. Some people prefer pumpkin, some prefer apple, and there’s always that one rando that only likes boysenberry pie or whatever. Whatever the pie preference, this debate will always come up at some point during Thanksgiving dinner. Guaranteed.

Going to Bed Really Early

For two reasons: (1) you ate too much so you fell into a food coma, (2) you obviously have to wake up early the next day because BLACK FRIDAY. Every year we learn the hard way that Black Friday low-key sucks but we continue to participate in it every year. Why? Who knows. But hey, any excuse to shop is enough to get me out of bed at 6 am (kind of.)