A Retail Addict’s Guide to Thrift Shopping

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

We all have that one friend who can walk out of a hole-in-the-wall store with a vintage Chanel sweater. Here are a few tips to help you get on her level!

Let go of your expectations

This tip is a vital place to start. If you walk into a thrift store looking for a perfect pair of high-waisted shorts, chances are, you’ll be let down. Allow yourself to be open-minded; you never know what you will find!

Know when to splurge

If you frequent Salvation Army or Goodwill, chances are, you’ll find a bunch of Forever 21 and H&M threads. These brands are affordable to begin with, so make sure you’re still getting a bargain.

Shop by color

Bigger thrift stores can be overwhelming to say the least. A great way to narrow the search is to discern patterns, fabrics, and colors that you could see yourself wearing. This is especially helpful if the store doesn’t organize the racks by color or size.

Don’t be afraid to branch out

Thrift shopping is a great way to experiment with your style. After all, you should only be paying a few bucks for each piece, so why not try jump out of your comfort zone? This includes venturing into the men’s section—you never know what gems are hidden in there (hint hint: cozy oversized sweaters!)

Try. It. On.

I can’t stress this enough. When you try on clothes, not only can you visualize how the item looks on you (duh), but you can also better find rips, holes, or stains. That sweat stain wouldn’t have been visible on the rack unless you made a conscious effort to lift up the sleeve.

Don’t rush it

Thrifting can take some time, so don’t try to squeeze in a shopping trip before that important deadline; you might get lost in there.

Get the inside scoop

Any thrifting pro knows their stores well and knows how to score the best bargains. For example, Goodwill usually has a color tag of the day that is marked 50% off, and other stores, such as Salvation Army, have a designated day of the week where everything in the store is discounted.

Be Patient

Some thrifting experiences can be extremely fruitful, but on the other hand, you may walk out empty-handed. Understand that the hunt is part of the fun, and most of the time, it’s hit or miss!

If you feel discouraged, just think about how stunned your friends will be when you tell them that you only spent five dollars on that adorable tee. Happy shopping!