Reasons Why the Women’s March Was Important

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

On Jan. 21, 2017, millions of people around the world participated in the Women’s March, an event originally planned to take place in Washington, D.C. It has been met with some criticism, but here’s why it was important:

­

1.     Unity

The march brought together people of all different backgrounds, regardless of age, race, gender or sexual orientation. Especially the day after President Donald Trump’s inauguration, walking through downtown Los Angeles with hundreds of thousands of people meant so much to me. There was an overwhelming, tangible feeling of power and love through the huge crowd.

2.     Taking action and planning action

Although the march was comforting after the emotional day before, it was about more than making people feel better. Ordinary people were given the opportunity to do something about their outrage and frustration through organizing, listening to speakers that explained what else people can do and making plans for the next big step: a general strike called “A day without a woman.”

3.     Fostering discussion

One issue with the march is that there wasn’t a clear, overarching cause that people marched for. The mission statement on womensmarch.com states, “We stand together in solidarity with our partners and children for the protection of our rights, our safety, our health and our families- recognizing that our vibrant and diverse communities are the strength of our country.” This meant that everyone had their own personal reasons for marching and different goals they wanted to accomplish. Modern feminism is moving in the direction of becoming intersectional and inclusive to all women, but it still has a long way to go and that was evident at the march. For example, many cis women had signs focused on vaginas equating to womanhood, which excludes trans women. In the past, feminism has only been for white, straight, privileged women, but it’s time to recognize the struggles of all women and their additional roadblocks.

4. Sending a message

The march was not an anti-Trump rally, but a way to show that Americans won’t accept his values as the norm. It showed the world that women’s rights are a cause everyone should fight for, POCs rights are a cause everyone should fight for and hate will not be tolerated. Marching may not cause direct legal changes, but the resistance can’t be ignored.