Meals in Minutes: 11 Microwave Mug Ideas for the Not-So-Average College Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

I get it, college is busy. Trying to find time to stop by the cafeteria between classes can be hard, especially when your most important class is scheduled during your favorite meal. Or maybe you’re (literally) sick of eating flavorless and ‘nutritional’ meals three times a day. Perhaps you’re just too lazy to commit to the effort of leaving your room just to eat. Whatever the case may be, these recipes will satisfy your need for flavorful food created in the comfort of your dorm, all in a short amount of time. What more does a girl need?

Don’t let those 8:00 a.m. classes get in the way of indulging in the most important meal of the day—breakfast. These four recipes will satisfy both your sweet and savory cravings during your early morning routine.

Coffee Cup Quiche: All you egg-lovers out there (myself included), rejoice! This yummy breakfast recipe can be prepared quickly and cooks in less than two minutes!

Blueberry Muffin: This healthy breakfast treat takes less than five minutes to prepare and cook (and even less time to excitedly devour).

French Toast: For those of you who associate ‘breakfast’ with the sticky sweetness of syrup, you’ll love this quick and simple French Toast recipe.

Avocado Omelet: Does this one even need an explanation? Omelet style eggs topped with avocado and salsa, yes please!

Lunch and dinner are pretty important, too. After approximately three weeks, you’ll start to realize that the cafeteria food all begins to taste the same, no matter what you get. These meals will bring some home-cooked familiarity into your life and save you from the monotony of cafeteria life.

Pizza: Forget the frozen pizzas, and fall in love with your own homemade mug pizza! Following this recipe, you can have a dream dinner in less than 10 minutes!

Lasagna: In less than three minutes, you can find yourself in Garfields’ version of heaven. Though it involves a lot of ingredients, the steps are short and easy, and the finished product is absolutely rewarding. You can find the recipe, along with a YouTube tutorial here.

Risotto: Microwavable Risotto? A lazy chef’s dream! This page gives you the recipe to make a basic risotto, along with various add-ins such as Butternut Squash and Sage, Mushrooms and Thyme, and Bacon, Kale and Mushroom.

Mac and Cheese: Transcend the stigma that all college students live on Ramen noodles and Kraft Mac and Cheese, and start crafting your own gourmet pasta!

And of course, the part everyone wants to know about: The Sweet Stuff. These recipes will satisfy your sugary needs whenever you want—not just when the cafeteria is open, and without causing you to spend an inordinate amount of money at a restaurant you researched on Yelp. These deserts are the perfect treat to have during your study breaks or as a midnight snack!

Cinnamon Roll: Save your Saturday mornings to spoil your senses with this easy to make cinnamon roll recipe. Get your mug-sized sugar and carb fix here.

Nutella Cake: Channel your inner white girl and use this recipe for a delicious chocolate Nutella cake. Find yourself saying “I literally can’t even,” when asked to describe this whip cream topped cake.

Chocolate Cookie: Sometimes all a girl needs is a warm cookie. Using this recipe, you can top your cookie with some vanilla ice cream and eat up!