jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Love Is Not a Game

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

Dating nowadays seems to be a big game of acting like you care less just to win. We’re so caught up in crafting a subtle text and waiting a certain amount of time before replying just so we’re not seen as “too desperate.” Our friends will often warn us not to double text so as not seem “clingy.” We strategize for hours about what to say so we seem “casual” and nonchalant. When will this big game just come to an end? You like someone? Tell them. You want to spend more time with them? Ask them out in person, and not with a vague text asking if they want to “hang out.” Go out on a proper date, and for God’s sake put away your phone and actually engage in genuine conversation with the other person. We need to stop trying to act like we care less just to gain the upper hand in this twisted game. We need to stop being afraid of coming off as desperate. Put yourself out there, swallow your pride and please show that you care. Since when is caring deeply about someone a bad thing? Why do we deem it clingy, needy or desperate nowadays?

I stumbled upon an inspiring quote a few months ago: “A relationship is like a house. When a light bulb burns out you do not go and buy a new house, you fix the light bulb.”

In this world of instant gratification, people often want a perfect relationship and want the #relationshipgoals they see on Instagram. But only few people put in serious effort into them. We don’t have patience anymore – instead, we expect a relationship to be perfect without us putting any effort into them. We need to stop giving up on someone as soon as we hit the first roadblock. Beautiful relationships take time and are built on a solid foundation of unconditional love and trust. We need to learn how to make sacrifices, be patient, let our guard down and love. Love fiercely, unapologetically, unconditionally. Just love.

We want a perfect relationship, but we’re also afraid of commitment. The very mention of this word sparks fear inside most of us. We want options and we’re afraid of being “tied down”. A week ago, a friend told me about a guy she really liked, but didn’t want to act on it because she was still “exploring her options.” We live in a world where FOMO is ruining many potentially beautiful relationships. If you find someone you like, fight for them, show them you care and stop leaving what you have in pursuit of what you think may be better.  

We need to stop treating love like it’s a game. We need to learn to start putting actual effort into relationships if we want them to be beautiful. So, stop scrolling through #relationshipgoals on Instagram. Seriously, just look up from your phone! You never know, love could be right in front of you.

Sneh Chawla is a Strategic and Corporate Communication major at Chapman University. She enjoys coffee, comedy, and all things pop culture. When she's not in class, you can usually find her instagramming (at @violethills), re-watching episodes of a television show she's already seen multiple times, or alternatively, napping.