Know Before You Go: 12 Disneyland Secrets

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

Before you head to Disneyland this summer, make sure you know the ins and the outs of the park and the system. Lucky for you, I’m here to help you through it (on a college girl’s budget too)!

1. Consider an annual pass    

An annual pass can be worth it if you’re staying more than a few days and plan on coming more than once a year. Annual passes include many benefits including discounts on all food and merchandise, and depending on the level of pass, it may include PhotoPass downloads and parking.

2. Know how to max out Fastpass

Step 1- Understand the Fastpass system. Fastpass is a ride reservation system that allows you to take a “Fastpass” and come back at a later time to a small line. Fastpass is not available on every ride but primarily on the rides with the longest lines. Fastpass is available in Disneyland on Space Mountain, Indiana Jones Adventure, Big Thunder Mountain, Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, Haunted Mansion, Roger Rabbit’s Toon Car Spin, Splash Mountain and Star Tours. In California Adventure, Fastpass is available on Toy Story Mania, California Screamin’, Goofy’s Sky School, Grizzly River Rapids, Radiator Springs Racers and Soarin’ Over California.

Step 2 – Fastpasses are available to you every so often. Understand the information on it. The big numbering tells you what time frame for you to return to the attraction (in this case 10:20 p.m. and 11:20 p.m.). At the bottom in smaller font is a different time that tells you the next time that you can get a Fastpass (in this case, you can get another Fastpass after 10:20 pm). The next time that you can get a Fastpass is not always the beginning of the time frame for you to return, so understanding this and paying attention is crucial for having as many Fastpasses as possible. However, if you have the opportunity to park-hop, understand that the next time you can get a pass does not apply to the other park. For example, if you get a Fastpass in one park, you could go to the other park and get a Fastpass, regardless of what time the first Fastpass says.

3. Timing is everything

Get up and go early in the morning, and stay late into the night if possible. The parks are least crowded when it first opens, and this will most likely be your only opportunity to get Fastpasses for attractions like Space Mountain and Radiator Springs Racers. Take a break in the middle of the day, and come back and stay until the park closes.

4. Extra Magic Hours

Know if you have access to Extra Magic Hours at either one of the parks for any of the days that you are at Disneyland. Extra Magic Hours allow you to go into the park and enjoy the attractions an hour earlier. So if you have it, use it. The lines will be so short!

5. Get familiar with the park

Try to understand the park layout prior to visiting. You don’t want to spend more time lost and looking for where to go than in the lines or on the rides. If all else fails, use the Joey Tribbiani method.

6. Dole Whip line shortcut

Ah, the famous Dole Whip with a long legacy, and an even longer line. However, the line tends to be considerably shorter if you go inside the waiting area for the Enchanted Tiki Room.

7. Single Rider line

If the line is extremely long for an attraction, consider using the Single Rider line. Single Riders fill the various spots left open, and ensure a much shorter line. Keep in mind that you and your party will be split up. Rides in Disneyland that offer the Single Rider line are: Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain, and Matterhorn. In California Adventure: California Screamin’, Goofy’s Sky School and Radiator Springs Racers.

8. Download the app

The app is beyond helpful, and I’m not just saying that. (No, I’m not sponsored, but I probably should be!!!) The app has an interactive map that shows your current location, all of the attraction wait times, event and entertainment times, character meet and greet location and times, as well as PhotoPass downloads.

9. Bring your own snacks and water

Disney allows guests to bring their own food and beverages into the parks as long as it isn’t alcohol or glass. If nothing else, bring a reusable water bottle to fill up at the water fountains.

10. Know entertainment times

This is helpful for knowing when to see the shows, but it also allows you to not miss your favorite attractions. For example, the large majority of Fantasyland closes for the fireworks at night, so plan on visiting those attractions well before or after. In fact, when it comes to the fireworks, avoid the center of the park and opt for Frontierland/Adventureland or Tomorrowland instead. (Side note: Frontierland near Big Thunder Mountain offers some incredible views of the fireworks that few people know about!).

11. Watch the second showing

When it comes to shows and parades, always opt for the second showing. Far less people watch it the second or third time around, which will allow you to find a great seat minutes before the show that you wouldn’t have been able to in the first showing.

12. Be in a long line when the park closes

As long as you’re in line when the park closes, Disney will allow you to ride the attraction. Consider getting in a long line shortly before the park closes to max out your time.