How You Know You’ve Been Friend-Zoned (As A Girl)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

Believe it or not, girls get friend-zoned too. It happens more often than you’d think. It’s not too hard to tell, but if the following sounds familiar, you might be just a friend. 

1. When a guy starts talking hygiene with you, you’re probably in the friend zone. Whether he’s referencing his lack of showering or his sweat leftover from the gym, it’s clearly a sign that he doesn’t care whether or not you think he’s gross. Hey, at least he’s comfortable around you.

2. When he starts talking about girls he likes, it’s probably a sign that he’s not interested in you past the line of friendship. If he asks your opinion on her, it probably means that he values your approval, not totally a bad thing.

3. When he invites you over to hang with the guys, it most likely means he views you as one of the boys. Whether that means coming over to watch a sports game, or going out to the bars acting as a wingman, it’s pretty easy to tell when you are no longer seen as relationship material.

4. When he goes into detail about his hookup last night, it’s a clear signal that you’ll never get to that point with him. It also means he trusts you enough to tell you more than you probably needed to know. At least you get to hear it from him, right?

5. Being in the friend-zone sucks, especially when it’s with a guy you like. But it’s not all bad news… there’s perks to it too. Having a good guy friend guarantees that you’ll always have someone looking out for you. Another bonus is he will be right there when you need advice from the opposite sex. It’s important to remember that if it’s meant to be, it will happen and if it’s not, there’s plenty of other fish in the sea.

Danielle is a spoken word artist from Chicago and a nationally ranked slam poet who previously competed with the Los Angeles youth team. She has a strong fascination with sunflowers, a love for crows, and an addiction to tattoos.