How to Maintain Your Healthy Summer Body Year Round

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

With the start of a new semester at Chaptown comes late night Albertaco runs and the disappearance of our awkwardly perfect summer tan lines and bikini ready bodies. The school year is busy: classes, meetings, socializing, and consuming enormous amounts of alcohol- all fun and exciting things, but how can we maintain those rock hard abs we worked so hard for this summer? It’s actually easier than you’d think.

Do it for YOU.

First things first: while living 15 minutes from Newport Beach surrounded by tons of beach babes can definitely be intimidating, remember that beauty comes in all shapes and sizes. Change your attitude and work diligently for your body because it makes you feel good. You are the only one that can push your body to new levels. Staying inspired to stay fit has to come from within (cliché but true!).

Find a type of exercise that you love.

Finding the time and the energy to work out is difficult. After a long day at class or work the last thing we want to do is run around the track and lift weights. To maintain any routine, especially working out, it has to become part of your lifestyle, such as brushing your teeth and taking a shower. Luckily for us, the options surrounding Chapman are endless: hot yoga, pure barre and cycling classes are all located within five minutes from campus. CorePower Yoga has a Groupon going right now! Make working out a fun necessity.

Say NO to drunk eating.

Yes ladies, stop those bad habits and JUST SAY NO. It’s as easy as that. That box of pizza we shoved in our face was delicious last night but haunts us in the morning as the scent of tomato sauce lingers throughout the house. Before you pick up the phone and order delivery, think it through. Talk it out with your friends and all get on the same page. Drink tons of water because it may make you feel fuller than you think (and helps your body process the alcohol!) and replace that greasy pizza with a healthier snack. When I’m craving both sweet and salty my go-to is always rice cakes and peanut butter (almond butter is great too). Pre-popped popcorn is also a good option AND you can binge eat it, guilty free! Pick a healthier food to become your late night BFF.

Easy peasy, right?!