nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How To Live A No Regrets Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

At one point or another, we all struggle with the “what ifs” and “maybes.” We look back on a situation and think to ourselves that we should’ve done this or should’ve gone to that. The feeling of regret is one of the most difficult emotions to handle; it’s important to feel like your life thus far has been a fulfilling one. We get so involved with our schoolwork, careers, social lives, technology, and materialistic items that time moves forward without us being aware.  It’s time for you to hit that metaphorical pause button and take the time to focus on yourself.                

Make your goals clear

By making your intentions, hopes, and aspirations clear, you can outline exactly what you need to do to complete them. These goals do not have to be long term, they can apply to any moment in your life. With this “checklist” you can make sure that you don’t forget major or minor things that you’d like to achieve within your life.

It’s okay to fail

We often forget that our failures help teach and motivate us for our future endeavors. When our problems begin to overcome us we occasionally try to take the easy way out and avoid them at all costs. However, if you to try and work at your shortcomings, you may find that the benefits at the end of the journey are greater.

Take risks

Be open to taking opportunities! The good news is that you don’t have to take all of the opportunities that are presented to you. Keep an open mind but remember you can be selective in an appropriate manner. The risks that I am suggesting for you to take should not be life threatening but instead, they should make you get out of your comfort zone. Be adventurous!

Follow your own path

More often than not we drown out our beliefs by filling them with the opinions others give us. It’s important to place emphasis on the significance of your beliefs, so you can determine what is best for you. Instead of following the path that others create for you, think of yourself first and go after the experience you want.

Live in the now

Enjoy the moment that you’re living in. You need to take a moment in the nonstop movement of life and enjoy the present. We often think about the past and the future, which doesn’t give us room to experience the wonderful things that surround us in this very minute. Be spontaneous! Be you!

Forgive yourself

When you are able to forgive yourself for whatever reason it may be, you can let go of what’s holding you back. By doing this, you’ll live your life with less regret because you’ll find yourself wishing that you did so a long time ago.        

Spread your happiness

Do what makes YOU happy. Not the person next to you, not your parents or siblings, or even your best friend. Yes it is difficult to please everyone but you need to take care of yourself first and foremost.  You’ll discover that to those who truly your bestfriends that your happiness becomes their happiness. By sharing your joy, you can inspire others to live fulfilling lives as well. 

Lastly, I’ll leave you all with an essential life quote: “Don’t look back you’re not going that way.”