How to Land Your Dream Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

With summer approaching quickly, it is definitely internship season. Competition can be fierce, and many people will be applying for the same internship position. Here is how to set yourself apart from the crowd.

1. Research

The first step is to Google the internship you want, in the location which you prefer. Websites like internmatch.com take your location and major and spit out possible internship opportunities for you. Once you have a possibility, go to the company’s website and see if you match the requirements that the job mandates.

2. Perfect your resume and LinkedIn

In this day and age, LinkedIn can be just as — if not more — important than your resume. It should include all the information on your resume, as well as skills, awards, and endorsements from those with whom you are connected. Resumes and cover letters can be a little intimidating, because the format and the wording have to be just right. Under the Career Development Center page on the Chapman website (chapman.edu/students/services/career-development/find-job/index.aspx), there are tips provided for creating your resume and cover letter. It even offers a template! Your resume and cover letter need to set you apart from the other applicants. Why should this company choose you over its other options?

3. Call and apply

If the application is on the company’s website, apply right away! If not, find a number for an internship coordinator or someone in Human Resources who can email you the application or direct you to the correct website. Give yourself plenty of time. Some applications are very in-depth and require days of work. Also, if an application says that a letter of recommendation is optional, consider it required. You will stand out from the rest of the applicants. If you have the opportunity for someone to brag endlessly about you, why not take it?

4. Prepare for the interview

Not every internship requires an interview, but if it does, it can be the most important step. This is where you get to show your future employer you work attitude and what you will be like if he or she gives you the internship. Be personable and knowledgeable, while also professional. Within that same link above on the Chapman website, there are tips for preparing for the interview. A quote at the top of the website reads: “It is not always the person most qualified who is hired, but the one who is most prepared for the interview.”

5. Follow up

Call or email your interviewer after the fact. Say that you enjoyed speaking with him or her and that you hope you get the job or internship. Also, if they didn’t say in the interview, ask when you will hear if you got the position or not. It is definitely an okay thing to ask, and it will prevent you from having a mini-heart attack every time you get an email or hear your phone ring.