How to Know You’ve Found Your Best Friends For Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

College is a incredibly difficult time: Midterms, research papers, cumulative final exams, LSATS and MCAT’s. However, the friendships made during these tumultuous four years are what mark this time as one of most important and shaping periods in our lives. Not all of our relationships made during college are equal, and we all have those certain friends, or friend, that we consider above all the others. These friendships, in 20 years, are those that we will reminisce on. 

There’s no pretending. 

Your best friends know who you really are, and are able to see past any barriers you put up on a day-to-day basis. They recognize when you are holding back, nervous, or getting incredibly frustrated. You don’t have to pretend to be OK, and your best friends are there to recognize your weaknesses and strengths, when no one else can.

Trust- what makes the difference. 

We all have secrets and insecurities, because that’s a part of human nature. Your closest friends are the ones you can trust to share these with. The best thing about this? You know they won’t share any of this information with any other person, because of one thing: Trust. The best and realest friendships are based on pure and unadulterated trust. Those with whom you can trust are generally the closest and most valued relationships in your life.

They understand who you are, inside and out. 

You like Chinese food, but hate Mexican food. You are agnostic, or a Christian, or a Buddhist, or a pessimist, or a dog-lover, or a cat-lover… the list goes on forever. These are the aspects of you that your best friends know about you. They know about the more superficial aspects about who you are, such as your favorite Starbucks drink. More importantly, however, they know your weak spots. 

You are accepted for all of your flaws- and still loved in spite of them. 

We all have flaws- whether we want to accept that or not. You could be a potty mouth, or maybe lack empathy. Maybe you have a habit of hurting the ones you love. Or maybe you have a drug addiction. The best friends in your life are the ones who recognize your faults, and want to help you overcome them. This doesn’t mean they want to change you, because there’s nothing wrong with being who you are. All they want for you, because they’re your best friends, is to shape you into the best form of you possible.

They can call you out for your B.S.

When you say something incredibly hypocritical, rude, or just plain stupid, your best friends will not hesitate to tell you what you did wrong. They want you to be the awesome individual they know you to be. It’s okay to mess up- that’s a part of human nature. But your friends are there to make sure it doesn’t become a habit. This is just a way of them caring about you.

You share similar interests, but are completely different at the same time. 

Friendships in college develop often from meeting a person at a class, event, or party. You and this friend have something in common, since you are both there. But as the friendship blossoms, you both realize that you are extremely varied in your interests. But it works! You don’t both have to be the same religion, race, or major. Your differing interests, background, and personality is what makes the friendship fun and different from other relationships you have.