How to be in a Long Distance Best Friendship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

In college, some students maintain relationships with high school sweethearts, but many also have to deal with long distance friendships when they go to a different school than their best friend. Here are five ways to make the long distance seem shorter:

1. Set up weekly phone calls. Days can be really crazy and you may not have time to text every second, so that’s why weekly phone calls are nice. You can update each other on what happened during the week and it can be a refreshing break from your life in college.

2. Have Skype dates. This requires more time than just a phone call, but over Skype you can recreate activities that you used to do at home together. You can watch movies or TV shows at the same time, paint nails, listen to music, or just talk for hours.

3. Make plans for the next time you see each other. Talking about the future and having something to look forward to can really make the time pass more quickly, whether it’s going on a movie date, going shopping, or getting mani pedis.

4. Plan a visit. Having your best friend visit for a weekend is bound to be fun. You can show her your campus, have her meet your friends, take her out for a night on the town, or take her to a party. Nothing is better than a girls night out with your best friend!

5. Send a care package. As a college student, nothing can make me happier (besides the word ‘free’) than getting something in the mail, especially from a friend! It can be fun to craft and go shopping for a care package, and when you see how happy it makes your best friend when she receives it, nothing can beat that.