Have a Healthy Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

To many, the holiday season means homemade pie, Christmas cookies, and candy canes. To others who are watching their diet, these sweets are a reason to dread the month of December. But it doesn’t have to be this way — there are ways to stay healthy while still enjoying holiday treats. 

1. Don’t go too hardIt’s okay to have sweets, but just make sure it’s in moderation. If you wolf down a plate of cookies, maybe wait a few days before you have something else that’s sugary, and possibly have a salad in the meantime. 

2. Portion yourself. Another option is to not devour that plate of cookies every other day, and instead just have a cookie once a day. This way, you can balance it out between sweets and healthy foods.

3. Set goals. Make an incentive for yourself, for example eating healthily all day or working out for 30 minutes, once a day. Then, you won’t feel guilty if you enjoy a small treat at the end of the day, and you’ll know you really earned it.

4. Go to the gym. This is one of the best ways to stay healthy because you can eat sweets and then just burn them off at the gym later. It’s (almost) guilt-free eating!

5. Drink a lot of water. This may seem like a really simple task, but studies have shown that drinking large amounts of water is one of the healthiest things you can do to improve your physique and your diet.