This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

We have all been there. Either we had it said to us, or have had to say it to someone else. It’s a tough situation no matter what, and it’s never easy. Either you are hurt and disappointed, or you may lose someone who was always a good friend. Here is the girls guide to friendzoning, from both sides, and how to deal with it that helps both parties involved.

To Be or Not To Be, Friendzoned

The guy you’ve liked and you’ve been texting with for the past month throws out one of these classic lines:

• You’re like a sister to me
  • You’re such a good friend!
  • *asks you for advice about the girl he actually likes*

It’s tough, and definitely hurts. We can’t escape it sometimes. Unfortunately, we can see something in someone else that they may not see in us quite yet. And if that’s the case, they’re not worth your time anyways! We have to understand though that it is never easy to friend zone someone from the other side. That said, while it hurts, sometimes you’re just not meant to be more than a friend with them. And that’s ok! It may be best to take some time away to help you get over them, and then when you’re ready, they will be excited to return to the friendship.

Friendzoning as an Art Form

While it’s not easy to be friendzoned, it also is rough to friend zone someone else. While there may or may not be interest in the beginning, you could grow to realize you would simply rather keep it at a friendship. Once again, that’s ok! You should never force something that’s not there. However, when we talk and get to know someone so much, it can be tough to make that decision to draw boundaries. You don’t want to hurt the other person’s feelings, or possibly lose them as a friend. There are so many things that are rushing through your head, but you have to stay true to how you feel. 

How To Deal

Here are my tips for making the best of any awkward friendzoning situation:

• Be considerate of the other person’s time/feelings. / If you know they like you, and you like them only as a friend, be clear with them. While it may hurt, it’s much better in the end if you’re upfront in the beginning. 
  • Value the friendship between you two. / More times than not, a person is so hurt when things do not work the way they wanted, that they cut the other person out. Not only does that cause you to lose a friend, but it’s a lame move in general. Obviously there may need to be more distance between you two to make it work, but respect the foundation for your relationship.
  • Accept what it is and work to move on. / It sucks no matter which side you’re on when a connection does not work out the way you would like it too. However, there comes a point where it is time to accept what it is for what it is and move forward. There’s someone out there for everyone, and when it’s meant to happen, it will be easy.