This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

A company that started in the living room of a Vermont house in 2005 has taken the East Coast by storm. These bags were originally made from recycled newspaper that was chosen by the customer, but now they have evolved into a much more complex structure. Your images are taken and turned into a piece of art that goes everywhere with you! Founder Laura Cheney was once a New York native, but after completing college at the University of Vermont decided to raise a family in Vermont and start the Flashbag company. Her passion beforehand was teaching, but she then decided to pursue her real dream: sewing and fashion design. These bags were not made for the purpose of extra income on the side (even though that is a very nice perk). Flashbags are a way to create a memoir whether it be a fun summer vacation with your family, or old pictures from when you were a baby that make your mom tear up when she sees the bag you got her for Christmas! The women of Flashbags have participated in many local fashion shows as well, most of which have been for philanthropic events and events introducing upcoming local designers. The uniqueness of this company is what makes them so sought after by many living on the East Coast, and who knows, maybe orders to the West Coast will become more frequent! Their mission statement clearly exemplifies their importance as a company, and how they like to play in to the individuality of their customers.

“Our mission is to create an impressionable vehicle to showcase what an individual or organization honors most, prompting conversation of shared values, stories, and creativity. We manufacture and design Flashbags in Vermont with awareness of and commitment to social, environmental, and community consciousness” -Laura Cheney

A company that started with a simple and thoughtful concept has now created an outburst of desire from all of its customers. The emotions put into this product are also what make Flashbags so successful. It isn’t just an expensive designer bag you buy at a store, it means much more than that. The strength of this company does not lie in retail, but an individual or organization’s personal input; why not carry your memories wherever you go!