Five Things to Love about Surfing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

Surfing is a passion for some, a hobby for others, and something new to try for many. Here are five reason to get out on the waves and fall in love with it, if you haven’t already.

1. The Tan

It only takes one day out on the water to become a glorious golden goddess. Be careful, though- too much sun can be bad, and sunscreen comes off easily in the surf. Make sure to stay safe and load up on the waterproof SPF! Reapply whenever possible and get back out there for the next wave.

2. The Exercise 

2. A six pack in six weeks? Possible! It is what you make of it, but exercise done for recreation hardly ever feels like a chore. Get out there an set a count for yourself—say, 20 waves. Before you know it the time (and calories!) will be all used up.

3. The People 

Show off your talent! The odds are in your favor to impress the cutie on the board nearby, or the group of other surfers you think would be so cool to get to know. Surfers are often friendly and sociable, so be the adept, confident girl and you’re sure to make a splash with others.

4. The Saltwater

It’s good for skin, and will leave you with the cool, flowing hair so many girls dream of. And, a dip in the ocean is always refreshing!

5. The Adrenaline

One of the great aspects of surfing is that it stimulates as much adrenaline as you want it to. A little timid? 1-3 foot waves are for you. Adrenaline junkie? You can go big as you dare. But stay safe!