Five Reasons to Watch “Master of None” on Netflix

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

Master of None, a new Netflix original show, premiered this month and has been talked about non-stop since. The series stars Aziz Ansari (Parks and Recreation), who also co-created and co-wrote the entire show with Alan Yang. On top of that, Master of None is immediately one of TV’s best shows this year, and here are five reasons you should watch it:

1. It is consistently funny.

The show is worked on by some of the same people (Aziz Ansari, Alan Yang, and Harris Wittels) who produced the hilarious and iconic show Parks and Recreation, so it’s no surprise that Master of None is persistently witty and humorous throughout the entire season.

2. It has a great soundtrack.

The songs on the soundtrack perfectly set the tone for the scenes, with artists ranging from Rick Springfield to Johnny Cash to Billie Holiday. And the songs aren’t half bad to listen to on their own either. The entire soundtrack is available to listen to on Spotify.

3. It has a diverse cast.

Having a cast that partially consists of Taiwanese-American, Indian-American, and African American people allows Master of None to shed some light from the different perspectives of each of its characters, which it does without making a big deal or pointing out its diversity.

4. It addresses the deeper issues.

Master of None is thoughtful while still remaining funny. Episodes focus on feminism and equality, the struggles of being a minority actor, as well as the difficulties of life and maintaining a relationship. By including both lighthearted and heavier topics, the episodes can make you laugh, cry, think about your own life, and feel anything in between.

5. It features Aziz Ansari’s parents in the role of… Aziz Ansari’s character’s parents.

Aziz Ansari actually decided to ask his parents to make an appearance in the second episode of the season as the parents of his character, Dev, and they killed their first on-screen appearance. Especially his dad.

The entire season only consists of ten episodes that are almost 30 minutes each, which means that it will only take you five hours to binge-watch. It’s worth it.

Sneh Chawla is a Strategic and Corporate Communication major at Chapman University. She enjoys coffee, comedy, and all things pop culture. When she's not in class, you can usually find her instagramming (at @violethills), re-watching episodes of a television show she's already seen multiple times, or alternatively, napping.