This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

“When I was younger, everyone was getting real jobs working in fast food and becoming lifeguards. There’s nothing wrong with that, but that’s just not what I wanted to do. But I needed to do something for some extra cash,” says Aly Silverio about selling handmade clay jewelry. While everybody was babysitting their next door neighbor or washing cars, 15-year old Aly was busy turning her handmade jewelry business into Jawbreaking, an online store that designs and sells fashion forward clothing for teenagers and young adults.

At first, Jawbreaking was not a success; it was an uncommon, difficult experience for a teenager’s first job. Aly’s lack of money hindered her ability to continue the business, but she believed in her brand, knowing that it would eventually make profit. She knew she wanted to expand her business by making clothing, and she decided to use her own life as inspiration for her designs. “I get inspiration from everywhere. I pull inspiration from music, movies, and anything else that comes my way. A lot of my designs come from my life whether it be an inside joke with a friend or a phrase that I like,” says Aly. For example, Aly’s love for a good selfie, as seen on her social media accounts, inspires her “No Selfie Control” t-shirt. Aly cultivates a playful, winsome vibe throughout her brand, which appeals to customers with similar interests and personal style. Jawbreaking is not only Aly’s life in designs; it is a collection of many different lives.

Aly’s inspiration for her designs are not only seen in her products but can also be communicated to her customers through her personal social media accounts. Her followers get to see her genuine personality and the face behind the brand through her Twitter and Instagram. “I believe Aly’s social media presence sets Jawbreaking apart from alternative clothing companies. Aly stays connected to react and respond to her customers through Twitter, Instagram, and our other social media sites. This reflects through Aly’s creation of the product line, brand, and company image,” says Jawbreaking’s customer care manager, Margaret Slate.

On Twitter, Aly’s 10,000 followers see tweets like “Remember that time I chipped my tooth in high school and had to get half a fake tooth? Yeah I woke up with half a fake tooth in my mouth.” Although Aly works in the fashion industry, her social media presence proves that sometimes life is not so glamorous, displaying her relatibility. From posting photos of her Pikachu Halloween costume to photos of hanging out with her little sister, Aly covertly gives her followers a glimpse of how her life has made Jawbreaking what it is today.

Eight years ago, Aly created Jawbreaking to make some extra money. “Obviously, as time went on, I fell in love with what I was doing. Just knowing that I want to do this forever keeps me going,” says Aly about her motivation for Jawbreaking’s future. Today, Jawbreaking is a reflection of Aly’s philosophies, likes, and lifestyle, which relate to the company’s alternative, yet fashion forward fan base.