This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

He’s a triple threat: smart, athletic, AND artsy! Daniel Malikyar, a Sophomore at Chapman University, is talented on and off the soccer field. We asked him a few questions about one of his biggest passions aside from soccer: photography.

Q: What is your favorite thing about Chapman?

A: My favorite thing about Chapman is the soccer team. The overall experience on and off the field is like nothing else at Chapman, and I’m really fortunate to be a part of the team.

Q: How/when did you get into photography?

A: I got my first point-and-shoot camera when I was 12, and have been into shooting photos and videos ever since. I really got into exploring and taking photos of my experiences this past summer, and since then I’ve continued to build on it.

Q: What is your favorite thing about photography

A: My favorite thing about photography is that there are no limits. Once you develop your style you can only build and improve on it. Photography has also showed me that taking risks and being decisive bring about memorable experiences. Each photo that I take usually has an interesting story behind it that I’ll always remember.

Q: What is your favorite photo you have taken?

A: I don’t really have a favorite photo that I’ve taken, but I have a few unforgettable experiences because of photography. I’ve been backstage at music festivals in front of tens of thousands of people, on the field at professional soccer games in front of sold-out crowds, and on the roof of skyscrapers with city-scape views over forty stories high just because of my camera.

Q: If you could travel anywhere to take pictures, where would you go?

A: If I could visit any place in the world to take pictures, I would backpack across Asia. There are so many amazing places and cultures there and I would have a great time documenting my experiences.

Q:  What is your favorite thing to shoot?

A: My favorite thing to shoot is definitely street photography. It’s a broad genre, and there are endless opportunities for different photos, especially in a city like LA.

Q: What are your goals for the future?

A: I hope to be able to continue to improve and gain a following with my work. My dream is to be able to work in the marketing sector for a major sports company in promoting and advertising events such as the World Cup. 

All photos taken by Daniel Malikyar. For more of these awesome photos, check out his instagram: instagram.com/dmalikyar