7 Things People Majoring in “Useless” Majors are Tired of Hearing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

1. “I hope you plan on working in retail or fast food!”

Can’t really tell if you’re trying to insult me or retail/fast food workers, or both. Either way, you’re rude.

2. “You know you’re just wasting all that money on that degree, right?”

And you’re wasting your breath telling me that. I’ll worry about myself and the money I’m wasting, okay?

3. “What kind of job do you think you’re going to get with that degree?”

Why don’t you ask Susan Wojcicki or Carly Fiorina or Michael Eisner or the countless other liberal arts majors in the workforce what kind of jobs they got?

4. “There are, like, no jobs in that industry!”

Guess that means we just have to look a lil harder. Or maybe we’ll create our own jobs. Who knows?

5. “Why don’t you go into science or computers or something?”

Because I don’t want to. And besides, if all of us went into STEM or something more “useful”, who will write the next young adult series worthy of it’s own theme park? Who will paint the next masterpiece worthy of conspiracy theories? Who will create all the Oscar-worthy films or the Emmy-worthy TV shows? These are the real questions you need to be asking here.

Sneh Chawla is a Strategic and Corporate Communication major at Chapman University. She enjoys coffee, comedy, and all things pop culture. When she's not in class, you can usually find her instagramming (at @violethills), re-watching episodes of a television show she's already seen multiple times, or alternatively, napping.