timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Things You Should Give Up To Be Happy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

1. Give up the need to always be right.

We all hate the idea of being wrong, it’s normal. The problem comes when that need to be right starts affecting our lives, our relationships and our happiness. In the end it’s just not worth all the trouble. Whenever the urge arises, just remember sometimes it’s better to be kind than to be right.

2. Give up the blame.

Stop trying to find a culprit for how you feel or what you have and what you don’t. There’s always going to be reasons to blame others, so just give up the need to do it and exercise your mind into being okay with addressing the issue and then letting it go.

3. Give up criticizing yourself.

You are your worst critic, so stop it. No defeating self talk is ever helpful. It’s time to start loving yourself for all you’ve done not what you haven’t and accepting and being okay with what you have not what you don’t. You are better than your mind telling you you’re not good enough.

4. Give up complaining.

There’s always going to be something that didn’t’t work out, some issue we don’t like, something that just isn’t right or fair, and you should give up the need to complain about said things. No situation can make you unhappy unless you allow it to, so in order to be happy, choose it over negative thinking always.

5. Give up wanting to be in control of everything.

Let’s face it, you’re never going to be able to control every little situation in your life, so stop while you’re ahead. Allow people to be, to live their lives, allow yourself to have that same luxury, too. By doing so, you’ll find how much easier life can be.

6. Give up the need to impress.

Again you’re your own worst critic, so stop it. Nobody really cares about anyone except themselves, so stop trying to go out of your way to impress people that couldn’t care less. That’s not to say you shouldn’t always aim for making a great first impression, but don’t let that control how you live your life.