5 Worries About Studying Abroad — And How to Fix Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

Studying abroad can be the most amazing experience of your life — but it takes a lot to get there, and the process can be super stressful. There’s just so much to keep in mind!

1. What if my passport and visa don’t come in time?

Why it’s stressful: This is a common cause for concern because obtaining a visa takes a lot of steps, and you need to order it in time to go abroad. And if you miss one of those steps, it could ruin the whole process. 

The remedy: Make a list of all the things you need for your visa appointment! Mark on your calendar when you need to do what and by when. Organization is key when it comes to obtaining the visa.

2. What do I pack?

Why it’s stressful: If you’re going somewhere for the spring, chances are you’ll be experiencing winter and summer weather throughout the semester. In that case, how are you supposed to pack everything you could possibly need for 4 months of changing weather?!

The remedy: I think we often forget about one beautiful thing that exists in other countries too — SHOPPING! 

3. What classes should I take while abroad?

Why it’s stressful: If you take the wrong classes while abroad, it could mess up your plans for while at school, and could even affect your graduation date. It’s important to make sure you’re taking the right classes for your major and minor, but it’s hard to decide which classes count for what while abroad.

The remedy: The Center for Global Education is very helpful when it comes to classes. While applying, they require you list the classes you’re taking while abroad and the equivalents at Chapman. They can help you sort through all this.

4. What phone plan should I get?

Why it’s stressful: We are so connected at Chapman, and we want to stay that way while abroad. I mean, it’s super important to let your family and friends know what you’re up to via Facebook and Instagram. And this requires data, which requires money.

The remedy: Don’t worry about that stuff! Your time abroad is for you — you don’t need to waste time worrying about social media. Most dorms and residence halls will have WiFi, so you can connect with your friends and family then. 

5. How much money should I save?

Why it’s stressful: This one’s sort of a no-brainer — we’re broke college students, and can’t really afford to gallivant through Europe. But somehow we have to… Do we have to blow all of our savings?!

The remedy: Talk to people who have been to the same country as you. Ask about food prices and other living expenses. See if they can provide a monthly/weekly expense estimate for you, so that you can budget ahead of time. Traveling is also an important part of studying abroad, and the amount of money you save does depend on how much you want to travel. Again, talk to people who have been abroad — they will be able to recommend cheap travel options!