3 Tips for Learning a New Language as a Hobby

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

For many, the additional academic responsibility required when taking language classes at the university level can be challenging. Mastering a language also takes a great deal of classes and credits, which can be difficult to fit into your collegiate planning. Have you even wanted to pick up another language, but on your own time, as a hobby? If taking Japanese 101, 102, and 201 fits into your schedule, then surely give it a go. If not, here are a few options to try. (A bonus, they are free!)

1. Surf the Net

YouTube is perhaps the best internet resource for learning a language. The free streaming site boasts a plethora of language-learning videos, often posted by language teachers or native speakers themselves. Simply search for whatever concept you wish to learn and your resired language in the search bar. With both an audio and visual component, it is a valuable resource. 

2. Hit the Library 

You’re local library will contain language-learning books of various types. It will also have books written in your desired language, and practice with children’s books can be very beneficial. There will be audiobooks for oral comprehension, and best of all, most libraries carry RosettaStone. 

3. Find a Friend 

A third option is to take advantage of online communities. One well-known organization that puts international students in contact with one another is called “Students of the World”. Here, students from all corners of the globe communicate via internet and snail-mail as international pen pals.

Ready to start? Learning is a journey—even five minutes of practice a day will show results over time. With dedication, you are sure to succeed.