11 Things To Make You Feel Like a Fully-Functioning Adult

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

1. Buy a matching pajama set

But please don’t ditch the leggings and high school t-shirt! I repeat, leggings are holy grail apparel, do not ditch them. However, do treat yourself to a nice pajama set that makes you feel like the goddess you are. Think about it, if wisdom comes with age, then adults must’ve figured out some things by now that we haven’t. You’d be crazy to pass up 100 percent silk.

2. Find a good bottle of wine and save it for a special occasion

That being said, first learn how to open a bottle of wine. How nice would it be to buy a bottle to celebrate the end of the semester or to commemorate a friendaversary? Alternatively, you could also just save it for an e“special”ly rough day.

3. Stock up on your everyday products

You’re going to need more facial cleansing wipes in the near future, so why not buy an extra pack when your favorite brand goes on sale? You’re saving in the long-run and you won’t have to rip your last Burt’s Bees face wipe in two, or maybe that’s just me.  

4. Track your sleep

It’s not just good for your brain function — an uninterrupted night of sleep is beneficial for muscle recovery, weight loss and artistic creativity. There are plenty of free apps that track just how many winks you get each night. Check out Sleepbot, Pillow or Beddit to see if you’re actually getting a restful night’s sleep.

5. Listen to a podcast instead of spotify

It’s amazing the things you can learn about politics, relationships or history that you’ve never understood before. Think about that five minute drive to and from school every day. Ten minutes per day times four days of class per week (because, let’s be real, who really takes Friday classes?), that’s 40 minutes per week or 160 minutes per month that you could fill your brain with knowledge! If you’re not the “podcast type,” don’t worry, there are plenty of options like Ellen DeGeneres’ monologues from The Ellen Show that you can listen to. Because, let’s be real, who pays for cable in college?

6. Memorize a dinner recipe (with more than five ingredients)

No one is asking you to be the next Rachael Ray, but having one recipe that is your go-to will not only impress your friends, boyfriend, dog, whoever, but also give you the chance to say things like, “I think it needs a sprig of oregano” or “Is it time to dress the salad?” that you’ve always secretly wanted to say, but it hasn’t sounded right coming out of your mouth.

7. Actually go to the gym consistently

This doesn’t mean you have to clear out a shelf in your already cramped pantry for protein powder, pre-workout, BCAAs and supplements, but do a solid for your heart and get the blood pumping 3-4 times per week. You’ll finally get to be one of those people who wears workout gear to class with the intention of actually working out afterward. Crazy, I know.  

8. Invest in the 3-pack of gum, not the single packs at the register

The 3-pack will save you, on average, $1.27 per pack. Need I say more? Quit being the impulsive stereotype that adults expect from us and go for the value pack. They’re on the aisle with all the bags of bite-sized Milky Ways that you’ve convinced yourself you’re buying for your roommates, but, in reality, we all know who it’s for.

9. Disable “snooze” on your phone

10/10 wouldn’t recommend this if you’re a heavy sleeper, but if you’re not a morning person, your snooze button may contribute to your less than best version of yourself in the morning. Hitting “snooze” puts you in a new, fragmented sleep cycle, which might explain why your RBF persists throughout the morning. Also, be kind to yourself and choose an alarm besides the Apple’s default, “Radar.” You can even set a voice memo as your alarm sound.    

10. VOTE

Hey, we have a presidential election coming up! Start small: If you signup with TurboVote, which will take you all of three minutes, you can get notifications via text about upcoming elections. You can also check to see if you’re registered to vote and update your registration through the website. If you don’t, be prepared to be the loser without a trendy “I Voted” sticker on election day.

11. Take responsibility

Even on days when you “can’t even,” you’re responsible for your actions. “Maybe you didn’t do things as you should, but admitting you’re wrong will make you look good.” Yes, I did just quote Dr. Seuss for a tip on adulting. The man knew his stuff, all right?