10 Ways to Make Your Dorm Feel Like Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.
1. Display pictures

This first one is a no-brainer, but of course hang up pictures that remind you of home and your loved ones. Polaroids hung on string is a classic, but switch things up by framing pics on your wall. Hello Command Strips.

2. Invest in real cups and plates

Using red plastic cups and disposable cutlery all the time can make eating feel more like a picnic than a meal. Pick up some pretty cups and durable plates and bowls to use instead. Anthropologie is a good place to start.

3. Make your bed ridiculously comfy

Dorm beds are notorious for being uncomfortable and stiff. Buy a cushy mattress pad to soften things up and decorate with fluffy pillows and bedding. Bringing your old comforter or blanket can make the dorm feel more familiar too.

4. Use a proper hamper and garbage can

Nothing screams college more than a plastic bag hanging on the post of your bed, in place of a waste basket. Depositing of your garbage and laundry properly will keep your dorm neat and less like a locker room.

5. Get an area rug

Buy an area rug to cover up those unsightly mystery stains on the carpet. It’ll add some color and give bare feet a nice feel. Fluffy white ones are super cute.

6. Have diffusers

Candles and open flames are an obvious no-no, but that doesn’t mean your dorm has to smell like pizza 24-7. Electric and oil reed diffusers are a great alternative to freshen things up. Check out Amazon for a good selection.

7. Stay organized

Whether it’s your makeup or school supplies, keep your stuff tidy so they’re easy to find the next time you’re running late. Chances are your mom didn’t let you use the ground as a storage shelf at home, so don’t do it at college.

8. Use nice towels

Nothing’s better to brighten up a dreary bathing experience in those grimy shared bathrooms than wrapping yourself in a super plush towel afterwards. Keep extras laying around so you have something nice to use when doing laundry.

9. Get a supply of your favorite foods

Everyone has their comfort foods. Stock up on your favorites to bring to school. You’d be surprised what your favorite hot chocolate can do for you during finals week.

10. Create a productive study area

Your room was most likely your #1 study space at home, so do the same at college! Making your desk a productive place to work will help you study better and escape from the rowdiness of the residence halls. A bright desk lamp is the best place to start.