10 Under Appreciated Romantic Comedies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

1. When Harry Met Sally- 

Story in a nutshell: This story follows Harry and Sally who meet driving cross country across 12 years of friendship and raises the question, can men and women simply just be friends?

Quote:

Harry Burns: There are two kinds of women: high maintenance and low maintenance.

Sally Albright: Which one am I?

Harry Burns: You’re the worst kind; you’re high maintenance but you think you’re low maintenance.

2. Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist- 

Story in a nutshell: Strangers to each other, Nick and Norah meet trying to find their favorite band’s secret show as well as Norah’s drunk friend.

Quote:

Norah to Nick: Hi, I know this is gonna sound weird, and I’m a total stranger, but would you be my boyfriend for five minutes?

3. 10 Years-

Story in a nutshell: This movie is about a 10 year high school reunion and follows multiple couples and how they’ve changed over the years. Side note, Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan Tatum are in it.

Quote:

Reeves: I think that you date who you’re supposed to like in high school, not who you actually like.

4. Love and Other Drugs- 

Story in a nutshell: A womanizing pharmaceutical salesman, Jamie, starts a relationship with a Parkinson’s patient, Maggie, who doesn’t fall for any of his tricks.

Quote:

Maggie Murdock: What’s your game?

Jamie Randall: My game?

Maggie Murdock: Oh I’m sorry. Right. This is the part where we talk about where we come from and what we majored in in college.

Jamie Randall: You have beautiful eyes.

Maggie Murdock: That’s it? That’s the best you got?

5. Stuck in Love- 

Story in a nutshell: A successful writer attempts to reconnect to his two kids after his divorce. The movie also follows the romantic relationships of his kids and his ex-wife.

Quote:

Samantha: You’re cute Lou, but you reek of romance and good intentions.

6. 10 Things I Hate About You-

Story in a nutshell: If you haven’t seen it already this is a must see. Bianca and Kat Stratford are sisters and the rule is Bianca can’t date unless Kat does. Seeing as Kat is beautiful, smart and quite abrasive to most people, she doesn’t attract many boys. So a plan is hatched to set her up for romance with the new kid, Patrick Verona.

Quote:

Patrick: Someone still has her panties in a twist.

Kat: Don’t, for one minute, think that you had any effect whatsoever on my panties.

Patrick: Then what did I have an effect on?

Kat: Other than my upchuck reflex, nothing.

7. Friends With Kids- 

Story in a nutshell: It’s exactly what the title sounds like. Two best friends decide that they want to have kids but they haven’t found the right person to marry yet, so they have a kid with each other while trying to juggle dating and trying to find their right match.

Quote:

Jase: Do you have to wear those shoes?

Julie: Do you feel inadequate?

Jase: Do you feel enormous?

8. Bridget Jones Diary- 

Story in a nutshell: At the start of a new year, 32 year old Bridget decides to take control of her life and she does so by starting a diary.

Quote:

Mark Darcy: I like you, very much.

Bridget: Ah, apart from the smoking and the drinking, the vulgar mother and… ah, the verbal diarrhea.

Mark Darcy: No, I like you very much. Just as you are.

9. A Lot Like Love- 

Story in a nutshell: Oliver and Emily meet on a plane and are instantly drawn to one another but they both agree they’re wrong for each other. But as the years pass, fate brings them together and they meet once again.

Quote:

Oliver Martin: What’s your stance on pancakes?

Emily Friehl: I am pro-pancakes.

10. One Day- 

Story in a nutshell: Dexter and Emma meet on their graduation day at University. They spend the night together and afterwards, agree to be just friends. The movie follows them through the ups and downs of their friendship.

Quote:

Emma: I didn’t mean to call your dad a fascist.

Dexter: A bourgeois fascist.

Emma: Yeah, I’m sorry.