10 Reasons Why the Notorious RBG Is the Biggest Badass

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

The Supreme Court has been in session for a few weeks now. Their term officially begins the first Monday of October every year. This year they will hear cases dealing with racial preferences, gerrymandering, and sentencing in death penalty cases and most likely abortion, solitary confinement, and seizure of cell phone data. Currently there are three women on the Court; Elena Kagan, Sonia Sotomayor, and the Notorious RBG. Who is that you ask? Let me tell you and give you the top 10 reasons why she’s such a badass.

1. Finished at the top of her class at Cornell then moved on to Harvard for Law School after starting a family and became the first female member of the Harvard Law Review. As if that weren’t enough her husband got a job in New York so she took her talent to Columbia Law School excelling there too graduating first in her class and joining the Columbia Law Review as well.

2. She overcame gender discrimination and then worked to make sure other women wouldn’t have to face the same issues by directing the Women’s Rights Project of the ACLU during the 70’s.

3. In 1993 she became the 2nd female to be appointed to the United States Supreme Court and the 1st Jewish female justice.

4. She is not afraid to read her opinion from the bench. To explain; when justices don’t agree with the majority they write a separate opinion explaining why they disagree, they can then choose to orally state this opinion. In short it’s the equivalent of going down with a fight.

5. She has a whole tumblr dedicated to her created by a law student.

6. Her style game is super strong with that lace ascott.

7. If you go to www.oyez.org you can nerd out and listen to the oral arguments online. Even if you don’t understand what’s going on you can hear Ruth and others make grown men feel uncomfortable.

8. Her relationship with her husband was built on mutual respect, admiration, and love. The met in college and were together for 56 years until he died. The next day Ginsburg returned to court. She’s never missed an oral argument.

9. She knows how to party with the best of them. For the State of the Union this year she admits she “wasn’t 100% sober”. Who can blame you Ruth?

10. Answers like this prove she’s the best and should be all of our role model.