The Woes of an Over-Packer: Learning to Pack Lightly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

“Do you really need to pack six pairs of wedges?”

“Yes, Mom. I really do.”

“But honey, we’re only going to the beach for a week?”

“Your point?”

If you have ever had this conversation at any point during your life, whether with your mom, sister or best friend, you are an over-packer. Don’t worry. This first step is admitting you have a problem. We’ve all been there.

You set your luggage on the airport scale, fully aware that the bag has not joined Weight Watchers since leaving the house and definitely still weighs 55 pounds, five pounds more than the limit.

You rummage through your bag in a panic, tossing aside granny panties and feminine products in the process (of course), while the cute guy behind you watches, smirking, as you attempt to stuff 5 pounds of various items into your carry-on, which already is holding two pairs of shoes and your hair dryer.

Sure enough, after three tries, the bag finally reaches 50 pounds, and you set off for security with a sense of accomplishment and a really heavy backpack.

If we’ve all done it and know the consequences, why do we continue to do it? It sure as hell isn’t because those six pairs of shoes actually saw the outside of the hotel room. We do it because we want options and because we live in a world of “what if,” which causes us to rationalize packing a month’s worth of clothing for a four-day vacay.

When I arrived in Italy this semester, however, I realized packing lightly for travel within Europe is not an option but a necessity if you want to save money and avoid a long-term shoulder injury. Many European airlines impose strict size and weight guidelines on carry-on bags so they can charge you a substantial amount when the bag doesn’t make the cut. It actually almost killed me when I realized that I could only take one pair of shoes to Paris. Dramatic? Yes. True? Yes.

To ensure that you don’t over-pack for weekend trips while studying abroad, spring break, fraternity formals, etc., follow these four tips. Before long you’ll be ditching your rolling suitcase for a Longchamp purse. (A girl can dream right?)

1. Wear your heaviest clothing on the plane.

I know this can be extremely uncomfortable (am I the only one who sweats uncontrollably while rushing through airport security?!), but it makes a huge difference. If you’re going somewhere cold, wear a heavy sweater and your coat. If you’re going to the beach, throw on the sweatshirt that you packed, which you will probably never wear, to save some space and weight in your bag. Ultimately, if you’re going to be too uncomfortable, you don’t have to listen to me, but what’s more uncomfortable then having to pay $50 for a bag one pound over the weight limit?

2. Do not pack multiple of the same item.

Believe me, I know better than anyone that your light-wash jeans are totally different than your dark-wash jeans and that boot-cut and skinny aren’t even comparable. That being said, you still probably only need one pair of jeans on almost any trip. Like jeans, shoes, jackets and sweaters all are heavy items that we can justify packing multiple of, that is until we get home, unpack and realize everything we didn’t wear. Pick your favorite and most versatile pieces and go with those. It also really helps to bring something, like a light black sweater, that you can wear several times in different ways. And I promise, you really don’t need three pairs of brown boots for a weekend trip to NYC, even if one is knee-high, one is combat and one is heeled.             

3. Check the weather.

While this may seem obvious to some (I check temperature averages for vacation spots months before a trip), this is a crucial step. Doing this will help you know exactly what you’re dealing with so you don’t waste space by having the “Well, even though we’re going to the Sahara desert it could rain, so I definitely need my Hunter boots, Tory Burch umbrella and Michael Kors trench coat” mentality.  I’m not saying the weather predictions are always right, but being realistically prepared is the right way to help you avoid over-packing.

4. Start with small luggage.

Fact: Suitcases are not made with the 50-pound weight limit in mind. So don’t foolishly argue with the US Air employee and say, “But it all fits in my suitcase…” when he tells you your bag is too heavy. If you start with smaller luggage, you will be much less tempted to fill space with useless items. A small bag helps you choose between the items you truly need and the ones you think you need.

I wonder how many things are in there that she doesn’t need…

Okay, I said wear your heaviest clothes not all of your clothes!

Sources:

http://www.google.it/imgres?q=overpacking&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1071&bih=565&tbm=isch&tbnid=GX_yf2xmSRTPcM:&imgrefurl=http://nubry.com/2012/08/what-beauty-products-to-pack-for-a-weekend-getaway/&docid=_h60jQz-5LSj2M&imgurl=http://nubry.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/overpacking-weekend-getaway-what-to-pack.jpg&w=468&h=466&ei=gF83UZ7yGsratAaD0oDoDA&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:0,s:0,i:80&iact=rc&dur=2299&page=1&tbnh=183&tbnw=170&start=0&ndsp=10&tx=79&ty=95
http://img.gawkerassets.com/im…

Melissa Paniagua is a senior journalism major at The University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, specializing in public relations. She is currently a fashion market intern at ELLE Magazine. On campus, Melissa acts as the Her Campus president as well as the vice president of the Carolina Association of Future Magazine Editors, UNC’s Ed2010 chapter. In the past, she has been an intern for Southern Weddings Magazine and a contributing writer for Her Campus. Melissa has an appreciation for all things innovative, artful and well designed and hopes to work in marketing for a women’s lifestyle magazine in the future!